Jack, Lift , advise please

Looking for a cheap jack to lift rear wheel off the ground to remove wheel for puncture repair.
currently looking at a box scissor jack as pictured, opens to 14.5 inches max , 7.87 inches min height. Max weight 500 kg , would this be considered suitable?
Thank you .....Eddie

Attachments

• 20230102_192319.jpg
    20230102_192319.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
There's a bunch of lift-jacks that you can purchase; the "thing" that you'll need is an adapter which will provide a proper and secure surface for your chosen lift jack. I have a fairly older 2 ton lift-jack; I tried a couple of home made chocks and such in order to lift my R 18 B, after a couple close calls in almost dropping the bike onto its side - I picked up the Kern-Stabi X518 lift-stand. It by itself lifts the rear wheel off the ground by a couple of inches; I can further raise the bike using my 2 ton floor jack (lift) in order to get a better working height, using the X518 as a flat or level lifting surface for the bike.

There a bunch of threads on this forum showing the X518 being used to service the R 18; you'll need to order the X518 which is specific to the BMW R18 model, which connects to the engine case and the exhaust hanger purchase point. Trying search X518 | lift stand |

The below picture was posted by ARTHUSS, which shows the X518 resting on a standard floor jack:

1672700887762.png

Looking for a cheap jack to lift rear wheel off the ground to remove wheel for puncture repair.
currently looking at a box scissor jack as pictured, opens to 14.5 inches max , 7.87 inches min height. Max weight 500 kg , would this be considered suitable?
Thank you .....Eddie
Yes will do the job. Use a wheel chock for front wheel. I put a small block of wood on scissor Jack and raise to height where l then put support stands under rear swing arm. Very stable for rear wheel removal . Type in Search function ‘ Tractor seat - not BMW Hommage ‘ for photos of my setup.

Thank you .....Eddie
I bought exactly that, a Liftmaster which I think is an American brand, it works a treat, strong, stable, no issues. As above put the front wheel in a decent wheel chock to hold the bike upright then slide the scissor jack underneath & wind her up. Takes less than a minute once you‘ve done it a few times. My R18 is on the stand all winter to keep the full weight off the tyres. Oh and one thing….remember to put the bike into rain mode or roll mode before you start her up (on the stand) because it makes the kick a lot less violent 👍

5C33B9FB-A0EF-48A0-8477-008B07218516.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes will do the job. Use a wheel chock for front wheel. I put a small block of wood on scissor Jack and raise to height where l then put support stands under rear swing arm. Very stable for rear wheel removal . Type in Search function ‘ Tractor seat - not BMW Hommage ‘ for photos of my setup.
Thank you just had a look , Just one piece of 2x2 wood between jack and underside of the bike, and 2 x axle stands under swing 2 arms ?
By coincidence similar set up to the Kineo BMW R18 Wheel installation video on their site showing limited wheel installation and jacks, I Like that tractor seat you fitted may be my next project, at 5ft 8" would be much lower
Thank you very much for posting and the helpful advise Eddie uk

Last edited:
There's a bunch of lift-jacks that you can purchase; the "thing" that you'll need is an adapter which will provide a proper and secure surface for your chosen lift jack. I have a fairly older 2 ton lift-jack; I tried a couple of home made chocks and such in order to lift my R 18 B, after a couple close calls in almost dropping the bike onto its side - I picked up the Kern-Stabi X518 lift-stand. It by itself lifts the rear wheel off the ground by a couple of inches; I can further raise the bike using my 2 ton floor jack (lift) in order to get a better working height, using the X518 as a flat or level lifting surface for the bike.

There a bunch of threads on this forum showing the X518 being used to service the R 18; you'll need to order the X518 which is specific to the BMW R18 model, which connects to the engine case and the exhaust hanger purchase point. Trying search X518 | lift stand |

The below picture was posted by ARTHUSS, which shows the X518 resting on a standard floor jack:

View attachment 8388

View attachment 8388
Thank you Scott, will have to will have to decide which would be best in the long term, cost and safety aspect , just want to get the wheel off in case of a puncture as i'm 35 miles away from nearest bmw dealer. Thanks again Eddie

Thank you just had a look , Just one piece of 2x2 wood between jack and underside of the bike, and 2 x axle stands under swing 2 arms ?
By coincidence similar set up to the Kineo BMW R18 Wheel installation video on their site showing limited wheel installation and jacks, I Like that tractor seat you fitted may be my next project, at 5ft 8" would be much lower
Thank you very much for posting and the helpful advise Eddie u
Yes, small piece of wood on scissor lift ( touching frame, not plastic ) , front wheel chock and jack up high enough until you can fit axle stands ( with rubber tubing so as not to scratch swingarm ) in place.

Thank you Scott, will have to will have to decide which would be best in the long term, cost and safety aspect , just want to get the wheel off in case of a puncture as i'm 35 miles away from nearest bmw dealer. Thanks again Eddie

Yes, small piece of wood on scissor lift ( touching frame, not plastic ) , front wheel chock and jack up high enough until you can fit axle stands ( with rubber tubing so as not to scratch swingarm ) in place.
Brilliant thank you very much appreciated .....Eddie

Back