How to "Build" an R18 on the OEM website?

theMucker

Premium Member
A couple days ago I took a test ride on the R18 at my local dealership in Chattanooga, TN. Jeff was super nice and the bike... WOW! It was everything that my old '65 R50/2 was AND A WHOLE LOT MORE! I MUST put one next to my '16 Indian Roadmaster.

But the OEM web site is crapola! Their web master must be new to the technology of the third millennium. I've done a bunch of "builds" on it, checking off a variety of different option packages and accessories. The results show the prices of the three "packages" and the "ergonomic & comfort items", but it doesn't show what the "accessories" cost. And the "bottom line prices" make no sense at all, when adding obviously expensive items (like different seats and cast wheels) don't change the total bills.

To make matters worst, some VERY nice items, like the machined valve covers and front engine cover can't be added to the "build" without the web page requiring that the 1st Edition and Premium packages be removed from the "build". So you can either get a 1st Edition and/or Premium Pkg. OR a sexy R18 with the black/machined engine covers, but NOT BOTH. You can add some machined "trim" pieces to a 1st Edition/Premium model, but they are add-ons that get screwed onto the base parts.

I have considered getting one with the machined cast wheel set (price unknown!), because they would be tubeless, but the front wheel gets thinner and the spoke wheels look prettier to my bride and I.

It also appears that Cruise Control isn't part of the Premium package? It's a separate option. That's just wrong! And what's it going to cost?

The web site also has an option to add the passenger seat for $250. Hunh? Whats up with that? AND if one were to order an R18 with the Cross Country seat or the Weekender seat, do we have to spend another $250 to get the appropriate passenger seat?

Lastly, the descriptions of the optional seats don't make it clear exactly how they differ or which may be more comfortable for the rider OR passenger...

"The Cross Country seat in black offers excellent sitting comfort even on long trips. It has a high-quality finish and can be supplemented with an optional backrest for the rider. The co-branding of BMW Motorrad and Mustang Made in USA underlines the exclusive impression of quality."
"The black Weekender seat offers a high level of touring comfort for rider and passenger because it is particularly wide and lavishly padded. The optional backrest for the rider, which is easy to attach, is a convenient extra. The exclusive co-branding of BMW Motorrad and Mustang Made in USA is standard."

Apparently both of the above seats are made by Mustang. As a former motorcycle mechanic who's ridden hundreds of motorcycles, I've found that Mustang makes a quality product. But what characteristics vary between the Cross Country & the Weekender seats. Is one wider than the other? Softer? Does either have memory foam or gel padding? For that matter, what do they cost when added to the build and do they include the passenger seat for the price?

My salesman, Jeff, at Chattanooga is looking into the above. He's also going to let me know how long it will take the get the R18 that I "built" on the web site and what it will cost. I'm betting that the actual price won't match the "build" price though.

Attachments

• 2021 R 18_theMucker.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back