Helmet comms: what works, or doesn't, with BMW Motorrad Connected?

I use the whiz wheel to control the Cardo Packtalk Bold volume all the time, music, phone, or nav. I do have to ensure my phone volume is turned up. If I have it turnd down I can't hear the nav but otherwise hasn't been an issue.
What am I missing?
Hmmmm. You’re the first I’ve found who has this working. Did you do anything special outside of just connecting the Cardo to the bike’s Bluetooth?

Do you know what update of the tft software you’re on?

Hmmmm. You’re the first I’ve found who has this working. Did you do anything special outside of just connecting the Cardo to the bike’s Bluetooth?

Do you know what update of the tft software you’re on?
Interesting to me as well! I can't be the only one, right?! I've done nothing special, just followed the manual. Phone is connected to the bike via wi-fi and BT. Cardo gives me 2 connection notifications: 1 for the bike & 1 for the phone.

S/W is older: 012_007_030, <>Aug-Oct '21

I try to remember to allow the phone & bike connect before turning on my Cardo. I get the 2 connection notifications and the bike display shows icons for the helmet connection and the phone connection.

Occasionally I have to re-start my phone to re-establish connection with the bike, typically when some other app or phone function interrupts the phone-to-bike connection.
I haven't experienced this problem with the Cardo.

The only times I've not had the whiz wheel control my Cardo volume is when I idiotically have the audio routed to the external speakers rather than the helmet speakers. I usuall figure this out when the bike display shows full volume bars, I hear nothing in the helmet, and I suddeny realize everyone within a half-mile is listening to my Scorpions, Zeppelin, or Floggng Molly 😊

Interesting to me as well! I can't be the only one, right?! I've done nothing special, just followed the manual. Phone is connected to the bike via wi-fi and BT. Cardo gives me 2 connection notifications: 1 for the bike & 1 for the phone.

S/W is older: 012_007_030, <>Aug-Oct '21

I try to remember to allow the phone & bike connect before turning on my Cardo. I get the 2 connection notifications and the bike display shows icons for the helmet connection and the phone connection.

Occasionally I have to re-start my phone to re-establish connection with the bike, typically when some other app or phone function interrupts the phone-to-bike connection.
I haven't experienced this problem with the Cardo.

The only times I've not had the whiz wheel control my Cardo volume is when I idiotically have the audio routed to the external speakers rather than the helmet speakers. I usuall figure this out when the bike display shows full volume bars, I hear nothing in the helmet, and I suddeny realize everyone within a half-mile is listening to my Scorpions, Zeppelin, or Floggng Molly 😊
Thank you for the level of detail here. I’m haven’t been connecting to the bike’s WiFi, so just ran out to see if that’s the difference. Nope. Shows the helmet icon by a volume bar, but no movement when I wheel up or down.

Would love to solve this!

Thank you for the level of detail here. I’m haven’t been connecting to the bike’s WiFi, so just ran out to see if that’s the difference. Nope. Shows the helmet icon by a volume bar, but no movement when I wheel up or down.

It's late here. I'll try to more thoroughly check on my set up tomorrow.

I didn't make it out to the garage today to check the Cardo/whizwheel setup. Sorry! Busy cleaning up from deer season here. I'll see if I can get out there Wed.

Didn't get time today, no time tomorroe, either... sorry! I did have a minor epiphany while laying awake at 3am last night... that may negate any contribution I have tried to make to this discussion:

Are you trying to control the Cardo's actual built-in volume control, or control the output volume of the device feeding input the Cardo (somewhat like an audio gain function)?

I'm afraid I might have I confused the discussion as I use the whizwheel to control the volume of the device feeding audio to the Cardo (phone, bike, or nav input to Cardo). This effectively allows me to control my helmet audio volume using the whizwheel.

However, (sad face here), it does not control the volume setting on the Cardo itself. I still must physically ensure the Cardo volume control setting is at an acceptable level. Then I can control the overall volume by adjusting the input device's output volume (audio gain, if you will).

If I misunderstood the initial problem, my sincere apology for being, at least momentarily, an idiot.

Didn't get time today, no time tomorroe, either... sorry! I did have a minor epiphany while laying awake at 3am last night... that may negate any contribution I have tried to make to this discussion:

Are you trying to control the Cardo's actual built-in volume control, or control the output volume of the device feeding input the Cardo (somewhat like an audio gain function)?

I'm afraid I might have I confused the discussion as I use the whizwheel to control the volume of the device feeding audio to the Cardo (phone, bike, or nav input to Cardo). This effectively allows me to control my helmet audio volume using the whizwheel.

However, (sad face here), it does not control the volume setting on the Cardo itself. I still must physically ensure the Cardo volume control setting is at an acceptable level. Then I can control the overall volume by adjusting the input device's output volume (audio gain, if you will).

If I misunderstood the initial problem, my sincere apology for being, at least momentarily, an idiot.
Thanks for checking in. Yeah, what I would love the thing to do is control the Cardo volume so that little volume bar with the helmet actually moves. I know Sena has updated some units to work this way with the bmws.

I’d be interested in a workaround though, as it sounds you’ve stumbled onto. Is your Cardo paired to the bike? I wonder if I pair the phone to the bike, but just pair the Cardo to the phone, if that does anything for me.

This whole thing certainly isn’t anything more than a “be nice if…” really. But yeah, be nice if that wheel changed the volume!

Thanks for checking in. Yeah, what I would love the thing to do is control the Cardo volume so that little volume bar with the helmet actually moves. I know Sena has updated some units to work this way with the bmws.

I’d be interested in a workaround though, as it sounds you’ve stumbled onto. Is your Cardo paired to the bike? I wonder if I pair the phone to the bike, but just pair the Cardo to the phone, if that does anything for me.

This whole thing certainly isn’t anything more than a “be nice if…” really. But yeah, be nice if that wheel changed the volume!
I'll double-check my connections & sequencing & let you know.

I'll double-check my connections & sequencing & let you know.
Two weeks later... I finally spent some time in the garage and followed up. It wasn't flaking & procrastination as much as the busy holidays that caused the delay. I haven't even been in the garage for the past 2 weeks except to take out the trash & cut bits to install a microwave in the kitchen. Anyway, here is my comms start-up sequence...

Initial conditions:
1. Bike off, Cardo off
2. Phone on, BT & WiFi on

Start-up:
3. Turn Cardo helmet comms power on
4. Cardo connects to phone; get audio message via Cardo, "Mobile phone 1 connected"
5. Turn bike power on
6. Bike screen message reads "BMW App Not Connected", and BT icon blinks
7. Cardo connects to bike; get audio message via Cardo, "Mobile phone 2 connected"
8. Bike screen displays Phone icon and Helmet icon
9. If BMW App does not connect automatically (it usually does, but not always), I manually launch the app on my phone and it will connect to the bike.

This gives me phone & bike comms via the Cardo. I did not address connecting the passenger helmet, or verify the sequence, but IIRC I have it in as part of Step 3, before powering on the bike. This is more a function of the Cardo pairing sequence as the passenger helmet Cardo is NOT paired to the bike. It is paired to my helmet and the passenger's phone only.
Gawd, I hope this helps someone! 😁

Last edited:
I followed your sequence today and everything worked well. My Cardo was connected to the phone and bike (mind connected as GPS since I think I've connected to a second phone too). Once I started playing the media from the bike, I was able to change the volume thru the Cardo wheel but not the BMW control wheel, which is fine. I also was able to get phone calls on my Cardo while riding.

I haven't played with the passenger helmet either, but one of these days when my wife is riding with me...

Thanks for your write up, it's pretty useful.

Back