Hello from STL

Just wanted to say hi. I don’t currently have a bike, but strongly considering a R18. I have only owned 3 motorcycles, 2 Yamaha xs750’s and a xs1100. I loved the xs1100, but ran out of time trying to keep it running. Anyway I have been wanting another bike ever since I sold it 6 years ago. I have never ridden a different bike than the 3 I have owned so not a lot to go on for experience on what I might like. I did put some highway pegs on the xs1100 and thought it was a pretty comfortable. Looking at the riding position of the R18, I would think if I found the xs1100 comfortable then the r18 should be even more, or maybe....

Welcome!

I'm not sure how you'd be able to comfortably use highway pegs on the R18 due to the width and height of the cylinder heads. I find the riding position comfortable for day rides. I'm not sure how I'd feel about having my legs in the same position for long haul, eating up highway miles...

Good Luck in your decision!

Thanks. Yeah I have my doubts about adding highway pegs to an r18 in any way that would be comfortable. I probably won’t ride far enough for it to really matter though. My current longest ride mileage wise is only about 90 miles. Doubt i will ride further from home then that. Now I would have to ride back, and I did ride around once I got there. So added up I might have had a little over 200 miles in one day.
Using cycle-ergo and comparing the xs1100 against the r18, The xs1100 looks more uncomfortable. I have not gotten a chance to sit on a r18 yet.

To be honest what I am most worried about is the difference in the leaning angle when turning. I can’t find any info of how much the xs1100 could lean without dragging. I never experienced it. I hear the r18 can’t lean in a turn at all. Maybe it would be fine for my riding style though. I just don’t know. Is there anyway to get more lean out of the r18 without dragging?

Finally found specs for ground clearance for the xs1100. Looks like 150mm or 5.9 inches. So the R18 is maybe .25 inches less ground clearance. Obviously there are some other factors that would contribute, but that hopefully means they would be close on corners. Thoughts?

One big thing that will help with dragging pegs is making sure your ride height is set properly. I come from a background of roadracing and even to this day I do track days on my Aprilia RSV4 1100 Factory. So, I'm used to leaning bikes over. And living in Colorado at the base of the Rockies, I've taken my R18 on lots of twisty roads. What I found is you can do the speed limit and a little over, and if you are smooth you will almost never touch/drag a peg. Now if I up the pace or late apex turns where I'm really diving it in, I can burry the pegs. But if you ride like a normal person it's not really an issue.

Even with the pegs buried I never felt like the bike was going to low side...

Now my 2017 Harley FLSS drags floor boards everywhere. You just get used to it...

When I purchased the R18 I flew to St Louis, Gateway picked me up rom the airport, and rode the bike home, a distance of 230 miles.
Forgot my cane on the bench in front of the terminal and they made a trip back to the airport and retrieved it for me.
Oct 2020, temperature of 41 F and raining when I reached home. It was just another "Bad Day at Blackrock"
Still had a catheter from a hospital stay 3 weeks earlier for a heart attack, prostate surgery and kidney failure.
Bit of a tough tide, rear suspension was on the factory solid brick setting.
The R18 will be my day trip bike, less than 300 miles per 24 hour period.
The K1600B will remain my "distance" bike, still somewhat limited with my requirement of dialysis 3 times a week.
Picture taken at Gateway BMW, then 7 hours later in my hangar 230 miles away, note the cane in both pictures and same Aerostich pants and jacket with the same green Brazil shirt.
Say hello to Han for me, I am sure he remembers me.
View attachment 1827View attachment 1828
What a great story. Certainly none of us have cause to complain of comfort or the lack of it, after reading your missive. Continued safe riding and best of luck with your health. You most certainly have the right attitude!

While the bike is stationary, measuring the height of pegs and other things that may drag in a turn tells almost nothing of the story about ground clearance while cornering. A peg that's 8 inches off the tarmac AND 16 inches from the center of the bike will drag much sooner than one that's the same height and 13 inches from the bike's center. A soft suspension will compress more while cornering than a stiffer one, thereby reducing clearance. And, all other things being equal, the longer the wheelbase, the farther from vertical a bike has to be leaned while cornering. That last fact of physics has always been one of the toughest hurtles that a manufacturer of cruisers has to heal with. Within reason, the suspension can be made stiffer and the parts that drag can be moved up and closer to the center of mass, but if it's a long motorcycle, it just has to lean over more than a shorter length bike to get around those corners.

The R18 has a wheel base that is about 8 inches longer... I honestly think I will be ok I have always been more of a laid back rider. I don’t go crazy around corners. I did once test the top speed on my xs1100. I got it close to 140mph. Speedometer might have been off, but it was right in at lower speeds. I know it seemed crazy fast to me.

Just wanted to post a quick update. I stopped by my local BMW bike dealer today on my lunch break. I got a chance to sit on a k1600 which I was also thinking about, and a R18. the K1600 is a nice bike, but I don't think it is for me at this time. I am mostly going to be riding 60 miles or less at a time. I do really like the R18 after sitting on it though. I am a big guy and have big feet so I was a little concerned. My ideal foot placement might be about 3 inches further forward then the motor allows, but I was very comfortable setting on it. I probably set on it for 15 mins. I liked the sound. not too loud, not too quiet. the one I was on did not have the fish tail exhaust. it was a 2021 R 18 Classic First Edition. I think I will be very happy on one of these bikes. Price was good, only issue I am going to have is getting my wife to agree I can get it lol.

The R18 will easily cruise at 110mph(180kph) if you so desire.
I still prefer the K1600 for any distance riding, 120mph cruising on West Texas I-10, or I-80, I-90 across Wyoming.

Last edited:
Thanks I definitely want to get one. I will probably ride it more in town, and maybe highway 79 between Louisians MO and Hanibal MO. Who knows once where else once I get it though.... haven’t got the wife convinced yet...

Back