Hello from L.A.

Pork Rind

Site Supporter
Just went for a test ride last week on a 2023 Classic. Coming from a Sport Glide, which will be a stable mate to my R 18, if I get one.

Some observations: Torque does come in a lot later than on my 107 M8. Not sure if it's because BMW doesn't list a "break in" procedure, and tune the bike accordingly for the first 600 - 750 miles to prevent damage or not. Or maybe, even though my 2018 Sport Glide appears completely stock, the previous owner put in a stage 2 cam, but the torque in 1st gear off of idle is considerably different in 1st gear. I have to add in a lot more throttle on the BMW to prevent stalling in 1st gear. Friction zones feel almost identical between the 2 bikes. Bike I test rode had 5 miles on it. I'm wondering if current owners notice any change after the 600 -750 mile break in service is performed, and the bike hooked up to the mother ship, if the bike feels more peppy afterwards, when riding the torque. Is it OK to short shift the Boxer motor, providing you aren't lugging the engine?

At Idle... There is a pulsating coming through the hydraulic line from the flywheel, or the clutch, that literally is thumping the clutch lever into your fingers. It's almost as if there's a dual mass flywheel on this engine, and it feels like it's coming apart. Giving a little bit more rpms makes that clutch lever "thumping" go away.... so I am wondering if the idle can be set a little higher to get rid of that pulsating clutch lever. The lack of smoothness there doesn't bode well for whatever is causing those pressure surges in the clutch and slave cylinder lines. I've never experienced anything like this on my Sport Glide with cable clutch actuation. It actually reminds me of when the dual mass flywheel on my Jetta TDI was about ready to come apart and fail. Supposedly designed to smooth out the micro acceleration and deceleration of the pistons of a 16:1 compression ratio turbodiesel. It became a wear item on my VW.

Definitely a different delivery of power... and torque, below 2000 rpm. Engine, at times feels very refined, in terms of quality of build, and yet... very clearly the crank is not counter balanced. Sometimes it vibrates, sometimes it's smooth. Due to the Classic being so new, I didn't rev it over 3000 rpms. Put 8 miles on it, rough city surface streets and mostly Blvds. No comparison in the quality of the compression and dampening of the factory suspension compared to my Sport Glide. Really reminds me of when I put some Bilstein Gas shock on my Jetta (2002) (HD bike) and then put some Koni Reds ( oil based dampening) on the R 18. Just a much better ride. Not mushy or anything like that, just leaves the wheels feeling more planted around corners.

I've sort of decided that I want the 120mm rear shock travel on the Bagger over the 80 mm on the Classic or Base model. The roads and canyons we have around here to ride are poorly maintained, and as I've already found out on my Sport Glide the extra rear travel is much easier on my lower back, and makes a difference.

Last edited:
Welcome! A couple of thoughts on your post in no particular order...

You are correct as to not being counterbalanced. It was intentionally designed that way and you will find the "modes" settings will impact the feedback you describe especially at idle through the lower RPM ranges. I leave mine in "Rock" as I like the throttle response and "visceral" qualities of that setting and use "Roll" mainly for heavy rain conditions with "Rain" being too detuned for me, but YRMV.

The engine does take a minimum or 3,000 to 4,000 miles to break in and continues to get better to easily double those miles. I can confirm the R18 engine will pull away without the use of any throttle input on anything close to level ground with a smooth release of the clutch (I'm 250 LBS, BTW) so it's more playing with it to get comfortable and certainly serious acceleration is available with "normal" throttle use. Not that I've done it ;), but even starting in 2nd gear only requires a little more finesse..

I love the "107" and it has certain features I wish BMW incorporated, but the BMW also offers it's own "better" features which only the rider can subjectively weigh. While it will get smoother across the board, don't hesitate to stretch her legs as you will find several sweet spots throughout the rev range and even "short shifting" will see you merging from an average onramp at +/- "the ton" without effort. Also, gas range improves drastically as the miles rack up.

I've ridden my Classic a bunch of miles in our local mountain roads (Smokys) where they offer perfect conditions for breaking in an engine as well as ridden a nice loop around the "lower 48" and at 15,000 +/- miles I can offer it feels-runs better and better all the time. I do wish it has the larger gas tank of the B-TC and extra travel rear shock, but the front suspension works better than it should (same on all models) and the rear shock when properly adjusted has "broken in" and is acceptably compliant keeping the obvious limitations in mind. My only modification was adding the BMW-Mustang, Weekender seat and that was a game changer for me as the original seat was tough after a few hundred miles.

The chassis is top notch and this bike offers more "Roadster" than "Bagger" qualities in a good way and is so consistent that her limitations are easily learned and she provides more fun in the twisty roads than one would think as well as all-day comfort when long mile travels are being enjoyed.

Lastly, get a few hand tools and look at the service information on this site and some of the you-tube videos online. One of the easiest drivetrains to maintain and work on and both fun and satisfying with the $$$ saved greatly increasing the value of the ownership experience.

🍻🍻

Jumping from one bike onto another (for a test ride) can overload the senses because there’s so much going on. Maybe try a second and longer ride on some more open roads with less traffic where you can relax into the experience a bit more. At idle (900 rpm) in rock mode they kick, thump and waggle the bars, that’s just how they are. Having had mine a year now I definitely think it’s a bike you learn to get the best from, like building a relationship you have to put the effort in to work out what it likes. Gearing is very tall. Short shifting works well. Can be smooth as silk in its sweet spot but get it wrong or rev it too hard and it’s like a road drill. It doesn’t surprise me when people jump on (cold) and ride it like a ‘normal’ bike and they just don’t like it or get it.

Follow up...

Went to Sturgis, SD before Bike Week, in the middle of July. Stopped by Sturgis Motor Sports https://www.sturgismotorsports.net/default.asp?page=xAllInventory&make=bmw and took a R 18 B for a test ride up to Deadwood and back. Impressions... rear suspension is sooo much better than that on the Classic. Bike felt very well behaved in the twisties, while actually riding it like a Cruiser.

Heel shifting takes some getting used to.... emergency braking is absolutely phenomenal with the BMW 70 / 30 braking system, front and rear.

Still need to toy with the donut wheel and learning the software, as well as figuring out connecting my smart phone to the mapping system.

Really think I'm going to get one of these R 18 B's. If I like it enough the Sport Glide might have to go.

Just to throw my 2¢ in .. the R18 is an almost a 'square' engine 107mm bore and 100 stroke and the Milwaukee 8 (107 cuin) is definitely is 'long stroke' engine 3.93" bore and 4.375" stroke .. they are bound to behave very different (not even considering the 180º v/s 45º cylinder angle) ... IMO the BMW likes a bit more revs and that is a totally different feel ... also the frame geometry is quite different ... it really depends on what is your thing :) ...

Go on, pull the trigger, I don’t believe you will regret it. My M109R was the best bike I ever had and I kept her for 15 years until the R18 got my attention. After 30 minutes riding it I did not enjoy the experience and took it back to the shop and this is what Rufus mentioned earlier on regarding jumping from one bike to another, I simply compared the R18 pure to the M109R and on my mind the R18 has nothing on the 9. The dealer called me a few days later and offered me the B for a 3 hrs test ride and although the B was not on my radar I went along as I had nothing to loose. As soon as I sat on the B the difference between my first experience and this one became cristal clear and I haven’t even started the engine. I enjoyed the 3 hrs ride so much that on my way back to the dealership I almost missed the turning.
Straight away I made my offer not on the B but specifically on the one I test rode and the rest is history.

Back