Hello from Chesterfield UK

SPR

Site Supporter
Evening .....

After riding Harley's for some time I've moved to BMW and pick up a new R18 First Edition in frozen orange on Saturday :)

After the test ride I was convinced the bike rode and handled better than the Street Glide I was looking at .... then it was just a case of haggling !! Really wanted black with only a couple of addons ... but they couldn't supply it so ended up with this one with everything added on for next to nothing - so an easy decision.

Already ordered some tank protector knee pads from Wunderlich to try and protect the matt paint .....

Will update with a picture on Saturday

Simon

Evening .....

After riding Harley's for some time I've moved to BMW and pick up a new R18 First Edition in frozen orange on Saturday :)

After the test ride I was convinced the bike rode and handled better than the Street Glide I was looking at .... then it was just a case of haggling !! Really wanted black with only a couple of addons ... but they couldn't supply it so ended up with this one with everything added on for next to nothing - so an easy decision.

Already ordered some tank protector knee pads from Wunderlich to try and protect the matt paint .....

Will update with a picture on Saturday

Simon
Congratulations and welcome!

Reactions: SPR
First issue ..... The dealer kindly sent me a video prior to collection tomorow .....

As part of the deal they were supposed to change all the black engine covers to chrome - you guessed it - the front engine cover wasn't changed .... now I don't know why they thought a mix and match would be acceptable and that I'd be worried that it might be a big job to change ......

Needless to say they are contacting me next week when they have figured out how to change it.

Typically it will be raining no doubt.

Last edited:
First issue ..... The dealer kindly sent me a video prior to collection tomorow .....

As part of the deal they were supposed to change all the black engine covers to chrome - you guesed it - the front engine cover wasn't changed .... now I don't know why they thought a mix and match would be acceptable and that I'd be worried that it might be a big job to change ......

Needless to say they are contacting me next week when they have figured out how to change it.

Typically it will be raining no doubt.
Bummer. Hope they get it sorted asap.
The bike has Rain mode which works by reducing the output of the engine and preventing wheel spinning.
Never the less, as you are not used to the bike, if it rains, just take it easy. You will be fine.

Well it has landed !!!!

Managed to get out and get about 30 miles in before it was dark :)

Absolutely fantastic to ride and the handling is far better than the Harley it has replaced - more confidence inspiring TBH

It is very quiet - which is fine .... I've set the preload at 9 turns which is probably 2/3 too many ... does reducing the number make it softer ?

There is a slight knock every so often from the engine which, from reading, seems normal till run in

I may need the higher seat

Overall I couldn't be happier :)

IMG_6524.jpg

Well it has landed !!!!

Absolutely fantastic to ride and the handling is far better than the Harley it has replaced - more confidence inspiring TBH

It is very quiet - which is fine .... I've set the preload at 9 turns which is probably 2/3 too many ... does reducing the number make it softer ?

There is a slight knock every so often from the engine which, from reading, seems normal till run in

View attachment 12037
Right Bobby dazzler 👍. I weigh 115kg and have my preload on 7 turns and I like it there. Now that you’ve set a benchmark I would say over the next few rides out go on the same route at the same speeds (as best you can) and try the preload one turn up & then a turn down each time to see what you think, experiment a bit to find the sweet spot. I honestly think you can tell the difference. It won’t make it softer but what it will do is place the shock in the best position (for your weight) to absorb rear wheel movement up & down, thus avoiding you being launched off the seat over bumps! As for engine noises, it’s a symphony of whines, clicks, whirring, thuds and growls. Think Bi-plane. Enjoy 😁

oh yea….forgot to add, I would highly recommend Motul E11 Matt surface cleaner for that satin paint AND run it on quality E5 super unleaded, no cheap supermarket E10 crap.

IMG_1441.jpeg

Last edited:
Right Bobby dazzler 👍. I weigh 115kg and have my preload on 7 turns and I like it there. Now that you’ve set a benchmark I would say over the next few rides out go on the same route at the same speeds (as best you can) and try the preload one turn up & then a turn down each time to see what you think, experiment a bit to find the sweet spot. I honestly think you can tell the difference. It won’t make it softer but what it will do is place the shock in the best position (for your weight) to absorb rear wheel movement up & down, thus avoiding you being launched off the seat over bumps! As for engine noises, it’s a symphony of whines, clicks, whirring, thuds and growls. Think Bi-plane. Enjoy 😁
Many thanks

I think I've set the benchmark too high initially as I'm probably 110kg in full gear with the fuel weight so will alter to a 5 and then do as you say and I have a route I can follow

Cheers

Well it has landed !!!!

View attachment 12037
Beautiful colour. Glad you finally got her and managed to even out a few miles on her. Enjoy the experience 🤟🤟

Back