Greetings from NH

Picking up a Classic in a few days. Wandered into the shop to try on jackets, ended up taking an hour long test ride, and couldn’t say no to the end of year blow out pricing.

Still have the 1150GS I learned to ride twenty years ago. Also had an R1200C for many years. Loved the look but was just too small for my 6’4” self. Was seriously considering a Road Glide Special but at a third of the price, I am happy to remain a BMW guy for years to come.

Always had an infatuation for the old vintage BMWs, but again, too small for me. I am super stoked right now. If this weather holds, I’m looking forward to getting some miles in before winter decides to show up.

I bought a new R18 First Edition yesterday at Max BMW in N. Hampton. I am always a sucker for a deal and the price with crazy incentives was just too good to pass. And I really thought I wasn't going to buy another bike this year, I must be delusional...

I live just north of Portland, Maine but am heading to Myrtle Beach tomorrow for several months and will come back for a few weeks of snowmobiling in mid-February.

Last edited:
Turns out I just finally picked it up this week. Rides even better than the pure version I tested back in December, I think. Rode even better once I set the suspension as I learned from this forum.

One thing I’ve forgotten about cruising around on a new bike is how everyone wants to talk to you about it. Are up quite a few hours the last couple days just chatting.

Turns out I just finally picked it up this week. Rides even better than the pure version I tested back in December, I think. Rode even better once I set the suspension as I learned from this forum.

One thing I’ve forgotten about cruising around on a new bike is how everyone wants to talk to you about it. Are up quite a few hours the last couple days just chatting.
Definitely.

hey, what's that? Is that the new BMW? I had a R [insert number], never shoulda sold it/wife made me sell it/maintenance issues and then sold it...still miss it. Those jugs are enormous! The pipes aren't so bad in person, but I'd change them. Are those pipes stock? You probably have to go a long way to find a dealership, huh? Bet it costs a lot to service. How much was it? How does it ride? How fast have you gone? Is there a radio? My [insert every bike there is or ever was] is more than enough for me, looks fun though. Is that the new Indian? Does the engine get hot, my Harley sure does. Your feet must get hot under those jugs. What's the license plate mean? Is insurance expensive? Does the engine ever scrape on the ground? Probably can't turn too sharp, huh? Does it take regular gas? How big is the engine? What's that in American? How many cylinders does it have? How much horsepower? Is it automatic? I heard that nobody likes 'em. That looks amazing, have fun. Rubber side down, brah!

and on and on and on

Last edited:
Picking up a Classic in a few days. Wandered into the shop to try on jackets, ended up taking an hour long test ride, and couldn’t say no to the end of year blow out pricing.

Still have the 1150GS I learned to ride twenty years ago. Also had an R1200C for many years. Loved the look but was just too small for my 6’4” self. Was seriously considering a Road Glide Special but at a third of the price, I am happy to remain a BMW guy for years to come.

Always had an infatuation for the old vintage BMWs, but again, too small for me. I am super stoked right now. If this weather holds, I’m looking forward to getting some miles in before winter decides to show up.
Welcome. I'm also 6'4" and a former Road Glide owner. I bought a Classic and simply loved the lines and styling of the R18. It is a visual stunner and typically draws a crowd if I'm doing more than getting gas. Get used to answering questions...

Welcome. I'm also 6'4" and a former Road Glide owner. I bought a Classic and simply loved the lines and styling of the R18. It is a visual stunner and typically draws a crowd if I'm doing more than getting gas. Get used to answering questions...
I'm also 6'4" and love my R18, but also my older vintage BMW.

The local Bikes & Breakfast event was yesterday & I took my R18 Classic. I normally bring my R75/5 to these, but it was only about 45F when I left home, so the windshield & heated grips on my R18 were more up to the task of handling the chill of the ride. The R18 fit right in with the older bikes attending and everyone was asking a ton of questions and admiring it.

But a funny thing happened.... it seemed to multiply! About an hour after I arrived there were 2 additional R18s parked next to mine. I don't recall reading about self replication in the manual.

Back