Final Drive (Bevel Gear) Oil Spillage on the rim and tire - very dangerous

The 2 pages seem to contradict each other ... hmmm ... all I know is that mine was changed @ 600 miles.
Agree. The second page offers a more comprehensive service/check which is to be expected as the breaking service is one of of the most critical servicing the bike will undergo if not the most critical one, hence I was under the impression that the final oil is also changed since it may contain metal residue from the differential gears mating with each other.

Agree. The second page offers a more comprehensive service/check which is to be expected as the breaking service is one of of the most critical servicing the bike will undergo if not the most critical one, hence I was under the impression that the final oil is also changed since it may contain metal residue from the differential gears mating with each other.
Exactly! I fully agree, the same counts for cylinder walls and so forth, even with modern manufacturing methods and materials ... break-in is break-in ... things have to 'settle' in place and properly mate to each other and a very small amount of metal will be expelled in this process and that needs to go away at just the right point in time ... and BMW engineers have determined that that point is 1000 km or 600 miles ... which is not new to me, I do the same when we bore, hone and re-ring old Harley cylinders ... not the bevel gears, that is an unknown for Harley, but the cylinders ;)

Bringing this thread to the top. Bought the bike in June and have had multiple issues with it. This leak being the latest. I didn't notice it, the dealership did. Was told this wasn't the first rear drive leak the've seen. Don't know, I haven't even made the first payment (BMW making the first 4) on the bike and already thinking of trading it.

Bringing this thread to the top. Bought the bike in June and have had multiple issues with it. This leak being the latest. I didn't notice it, the dealership did. Was told this wasn't the first rear drive leak the've seen. Don't know, I haven't even made the first payment (BMW making the first 4) on the bike and already thinking of trading it.
Have a look at this thread. It may put your mind at ease a bit.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/p...ge-on-the-rim-and-tyre.2232/page-2#post-36035

Back