Exhaust chrome plating repair

Ashton55

I had some gel rust remover on my glove and it touched my exhaust. I didn’t notice it until a bit later. The rust remover ate away at the chrome plating on the exhaust. I wiped it off with a damp cloth and water. I have attached a picture of the damage (zoomed in). The size of the problem area is about the size of a half dollar. The damage is on the curve of the exhaust manifold (part # 18519444986). Does anyone know if the exhaust can be purchased in pieces (rather than buying the entire thing)? Looks like the whole exhaust is about $2500! Does anyone have any experience with fixing the chrome plating on any part of their bike? Any suggestions on some solutions?

View attachment 12924

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 39
Take it you’ve tried decent chrome polish? Don’t use anything abrasive though or you’ll just scratch it to hell anyway. Chrome is pretty tough stuff and I believe the pipes are stainless underneath. If it’s past saving it would be a case of trying to live with it or buying a replacement part ( if you want the standard look ). eBay does have exhausts on it from time to time now that the bikes have been out a while and you’ll only need the front pipe not a full system. Swapping out should be do-able if you take your time and are fairly handy on the spanners.

The header pipes are double walled; I've tried Blue Job to try cleaning up some blueing discoloring without any real improvement.

Maybe remove the header and have it chromed by a shop?

Wellllll I can sell you my entire system for $1200... Im upgrading to prorace.. If you're interested let me know. You pay shipping. my pipes have 800 miles on them btw.

Last edited:
Just in case you can't save it ... the answer is yes, you can buy parts separate ... this is for the R18 pure/FE ... I am not sure if they are all the same ... if you want a finite answer call the folks from MAX BMW and they will know the exact part number
Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 6.33.12 AM.png

... and I agree with Rufus ... try Chrome polish, maybe you can make it go away enough to save the header.

If chrome polish doesn't work, I use "0000" steel wool and WD-40 on my chrome pieces to remove super-stubborn grime.

Works WONDERS!

Mike

I used wax/polish with a circular electric buffer to remove rust spots successfully. Just takes some time and elbow grease to get rid of the spots. Your mileage may vary.

Anyone ever use A1 Steak Sauce to remove blueing blemishes on chrome exhaust pipes?
I ask, because someone recommended A1 and swears by it, I tried the Blue Job that my wife got me as a stocking stuffer for X-Mas (actually, I think she miss understood or didn't hear me correctly...); long story short, the Blue Job paste didn't work as expected.

Screenshot_20240307-101939.png

Anyone ever use A1 Steak Sauce to remove blueing blemishes on chrome exhaust pipes?
I ask, because someone recommended A1 and swears by it, I tried the Blue Job that my wife got me as a stocking stuffer for X-Mas (actually, I think she miss understood or didn't hear me correctly...); long story short, the Blue Job paste didn't work as expected.

View attachment 13574
Wonder if the A1 thing is like the Coca-Cola thing. Acids and such in there that clean up the chrome. 🤷‍♂️

Back