Emergency Air Compressor Recommendations

51rhC

Site Supporter
Does anyone have experience with MotoPumps Air Shot 2.0? This seems like a good choice for a portable air compressor, but I would love to hear from some current users.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Haven't used the MotoPumps Air Shot yet, I often carry an AirMoto unit, great readout for setting the pressure accurately. I haven't had to use it for a flat yet.

https://www.amazon.com/AIRMOTO-ORIG...3f-a87d-ab14bbddf09b&pd_rd_i=B094DMH7ZM&psc=1

Sometimes I throw in a micro bicycle floor pump, it's handy, small, and has no dependencies. Got to hold it pretty good when using since it's a small base and handle, but it's pretty good quality.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/lezyne-micro-floor-drive-hp?v=mifldbl&adl=1&msclkid=d9acb8b05288132f613cdcadf45bc730&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google Shopping - Split by Category&utm_term=1100507194298&utm_content=Floor Pumps

Last edited:
Haven't used the MotoPumps Air Shot yet, I often carry an AirMoto unit, great readout for setting the pressure accurately. I haven't had to use it for a flat yet.

https://www.amazon.com/AIRMOTO-ORIG...3f-a87d-ab14bbddf09b&pd_rd_i=B094DMH7ZM&psc=1

Sometimes I throw in a mini bicycle floor pump, it's just handy and no dependencies. Got to hold it pretty good when using since it's a small base and handle, but it's pretty good quality.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/lezyne-micro-floor-drive-hp?v=mifldbl&adl=1&msclkid=d9acb8b05288132f613cdcadf45bc730&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google Shopping - Split by Category&utm_term=1100507194298&utm_content=Floor Pumps
Thank you for your reply. The Airmoto is another one I’m considering. Looks like it’s really well made. I’m still on the fence with whether or not to go with a battery powered unit.

cycle pumps

These were the "standard" for years as any other options near this small were mostly junk. Now there are many options such as those shared above, but still a good alternative when comparing.

cycle pumps

These were the "standard" for years as any other options near this small were mostly junk. Now there are many options such as those shared above, but still a good alternative when comparing.
Thank you, Bob. I was not familiar with this compressor. Seems like a solid, tried and true model. It’s now on my shortlist of models I’m considering.

Any other touring riders have recommendations? What are your thoughts on using the 12V power from the bike vs a battery powered unit?

I used to pack a tire plug kit and a 12V portable compressor, when we would travel throughout America in our Airstream Interstate; wouldn't a similar kit be a better fit for a motorcycle, where small CO2 cartridges would replace a compressor?

The thought being a temporary solution in order to get the bike to a proper service shop for a new tire.

If looking for a shop compressor, I have a larger compressor that I use for air-tools; which I also use for blowing out debri when washing my cars and motorcycle, inflating tires and such.

Below is what I was thinking, and would take up little space:

Screenshot_20230325-074242.png

BMW used to include a kit similar to this years ago. I still have one and they worked very well as they are as simple and reliable as a rock and replacing the rubber sticky strips now and again is about all one has to do to keep it ready and able over the years. The biggest limitation is the cartridge capacity as it takes many of these little ones to fill our often larger modern tires. So if and when a slow leak remains if one is out of cartridges before they can make a repair or purchase more supplies you can be SOL whereas the pump can add air as often as needed. If one chose a cartridge kit I would add some extras for "Murphy's Law" circumstances.

Any other touring riders have recommendations? What are your thoughts on using the 12V power from the bike vs a battery powered unit?
I would not be concerned with either as a power source and more on the quality of the pump itself. "Good" pumps will work much more efficiently so the needed energy to work is less and the time it needs is much less to actually produce the desired pressure so a "win-win". If I have to recharge a self contained battery pack or plug the pump into an external battery pack or the bike is secondary to me wanting a good pump.

If worried about plugging in to the motorcycle's power, I would look at an external power pack that will be very flexible for many of my travel needs and then having decided on a "good" pump and separate power source means both aren't impacted if one component starts to have issues. All in one is convenient though so YRMV.

Most of these portable power packs are a little over a pound and on up depending on capacity and features. This one is on the heavier side IMO, but as I often camp on trips I enjoy the higher capacity for recharging phones, lap tops, cameras, etc., as well as the many options to plug in via usb to "cigarette lighter".

Battery pack

Sometimes I throw in a micro bicycle floor pump, it's handy, small, and has no dependencies. Got to hold it pretty good when using since it's a small base and handle, but it's pretty good quality.

I have this AIRMOTO one and use it often on everything from bicycles, basketballs, to motorcycles. It works great.

Thank you. I have the Nealey kit. How do you like the compressor? Any information you can share on your experiences with it is appreciated.

Thank you. I have the Nealey kit. How do you like the compressor? Any information you can share on your experiences with it is appreciated.
I ran it once or twice in the garage to make sure it works. And it does! It gets warm/hot while using it but that was to be expected.
It's good value for the money in my humble opinion.
The reviews on Amazon are very positive too.

Back