Demo rides taken

motoring

Did a quick yet relaxing demo ride of the base R18 then the R18 bagger today. Like being able to see the rpm gauge via the Menu button on the base R18. Started to rain when I had the bagger out on the ride so cut it short and took it back to the shop.

So indeed I did this backwards…purchased the bike before going back to do a demo ride again. Today the dealer had R18 demo rides again. Long story short, am happy I picked the base model…need to go get it next month from up North. Well, granted it would take maybe 6k over the 12.4k I am paying total for the R18FE with cruise to go to a bagger anyway I figure. Though the weight is simply too much for my likely to get any R18 that weights more then the base model…plus it looks kick ass I feel.

I did notice my shoulder blades seem to be stretched a bit wide on the base model as well as the handlebars sort of span wide and they don’t really angle back as much as one might like…at least for my liking. I sort of think of myself as average guy for this bike so uncertain why BMW did the bars the way they did. I saw some youtube video of some company designing some replacement bars but did not make a note of who there were :(

With clutch fully engaged (in) the engine seems to want to pop the clutch out…one can hear and feel the jugs sort of wanting to be set free if that makes any sense. The guy that got a classic said after 6k miles that feeling/sensation goes away.

I get the bagger look but it is simply too heavy a bike for me to have any comfort in moving around at low speed. As in getting started off the side stand when leaving the dealer parking lot. Honestly, I am surprised more people don’t drop these bikes during demo rides leaving the parking lot (maybe just a me thing).

Yes, I will need to watch to lessen bumps (no I don’t know what the spring was set to) though the base is the base so that rear end is what it is and one deals with it. My thus far planned Weekender seat upgrade should help on that front. And I do indeed like the pinstripes on my R18FE model as well.

The bike just looks sweet riding down the road with that speedo in front, not the same though akin in a slight manner to my /5 setup which had the speedo on the top 2/3 then the tach on the bottom one third all in a single shell housing that likewise contained the headlight. The ride did remind my old mind one should ride with a full face hement else at least a 3/4 helmet with a drop down shield. Open face 3/4 with no shield not so great in my book. Maybe riding goggles that would fit over glasses would do the trick if they have such things.

Slight chance I might even like the Leg Rest I ordered for the bike as well if the egos of the Weekender seat don’t force me too close towards the front of the bike. I did place my riding boots on top of the jugs briefly and felt, maybe due to the stock low seat, that I wanted to be sitting higher in the saddle as it where plus maybe back a drop but with the stock handle bars i don’t know that I could seat much further back honestly since they are so darn wide. If needed maybe the Cross County would resolve that issue somewhat and not create more. Though it is a single seat, not two piece. Since I ride solo it would be nice not to put a rear seat on it…would like to show off the rear fender a bit.

I have not asked if my dealer can get me the bmw solo seat and associated bracket needed though that would be a roll of the dice as I am certain they would not want to order one for stock if I did not like it.

Wonder if anyone has replaced the stock base R18 bars due to the reasons i have noted above and likewise felt a change was needed? If not I might just have to live with the stock bars until other vendors make some thus Bike OctoberFest in Daytona this year is probably too soon to hope for alternate options to select from.

Last edited:
Bikes kept vertical are not heavy. Keep the machine straight up and down and enjoy the dickens out of it.

Great you had a chance to ride them both. I keep in mind that the R!8/R18C have partially integrated brakes, where the R18B/R18TC have fully integrated brakes. On my TC I go super soft dragging rear brake in slow speed to help keep the front brake from actuating when I don't want it to. The wide bars on the R18FE do provide some good leverage but can be a reach when against the stops.

Great you had a chance to ride them both. I keep in mind that the R!8/R18C have partially integrated brakes, where the R18B/R18TC have fully integrated brakes. On my TC I go super soft dragging rear brake in slow speed to help keep the front brake from actuating when I don't want it to. The wide bars on the R18FE do provide some good leverage but can be a reach when against the stops.
Did not know that about the brake differences, ty. Btw, what does this refer to…
”…but can be a reach when against the stops.’

yw, as I used it 'against the stops', is when the handlebars are turned all the way to where the crown hits the stop block that keeps the forks from hitting the tank, the wheel from getting too sideways, and can be handy to rest on when turning tightly. When in this position one grip will be at the maximum extension forward in its arc, at the point where rider has to reach forward the most. I'm 5'7"... my R18FE with the stock bars, turned to the stops is about the max of my ability to reach and still work the levers, but I make it work fine, by reaching a little, a narrower bar would generally reduce the reach. :)

Last edited:
I have never really altered a bike (suspension, bars, pegs etc) and just accept a new bike will feel different to my last and that’s a big part of the attraction in a way, it’s why I swap. I like the fact they are all different. I am still noticing little quirks on the R18FE and will do for some time yet, like that clutch kick/feel you described. Only you know what you feel needs changing but it’s personal to you.

Money aside, as wonderful as the higher spec versions no doubt are I prefer the simplicity of the FE. I always ride with open face helmet jacket and jeans so have nothing to interrupt the stunning riders view, the chrome, the gorgeous shaped gloss black tank, the simple and elegant speedo, the swept bars and lollipop mirrors and of course, those big bi-plane like jugs sticking out. It’s magnificent. I ride mostly under 60mph anyway and that sense of low revving relaxed zen like stump pulling waft blows me away.

yw, as I used it 'against the stops', is when the handlebars are turned all the way to where the crown hits the stop block that keeps the forks from hitting the tank, the wheel from getting too sideways, and can be handy to rest on when turning tightly. When in this position one grip will be at the maximum extension forward in its arc, at the point where rider has to reach forward the most. I'm 5'7"... my R18FE with the stock bars, turned to the stops is about the max of my ability to reach and still work the levers, but I make it work fine, by reaching a little, a narrower bar would generally reduce the reach. :)
10-4, follow now. Darn did not even try that when stopped thu a good thing to do have awareness about, ty.

I have never really altered a bike (suspension, bars, pegs etc) and just accept a new bike will feel different to my last and that’s a big part of the attraction in a way, it’s why I swap. I like the fact they are all different. I am still noticing little quirks on the R18FE and will do for some time yet, like that clutch kick/feel you described. Only you know what you feel needs changing but it’s personal to you.

Money aside, as wonderful as the higher spec versions no doubt are I prefer the simplicity of the FE. I always ride with open face helmet jacket and jeans so have nothing to interrupt the stunning riders view, the chrome, the gorgeous shaped gloss black tank, the simple and elegant speedo, the swept bars and lollipop mirrors and of course, those big bi-plane like jugs sticking out. It’s magnificent. I ride mostly under 60mph anyway and that sense of low revving relaxed zen like stump pulling waft blows me away.
“…nothing to interrupt the stunning riders view, the chrome, the gorgeous shaped gloss black tank, the simple and elegant speedo, the swept bars and lollipop mirrors and of course, those big bi-plane like jugs sticking out. It’s magnificent. I ride mostly under 60mph anyway and that sense of low revving relaxed zen like stump pulling waft blows me away.” Love it :)

Yes, should have mentioned, the speedo better reminds me of a /2 speedo. I also commend the designers of this bike for using R/R/R; rain rock roll. The Youtube ‘bike’ reviews need to get a Life on that point. I think it was great of bmw to add a bit of whimsy into the culture of the R18, the modern classic of THEIR heritage original.

Though…P.S. does anyones gas cap spin while riding? I saw a review that noted it did…just the chrome ‘cap’ cover of the gas cap. It did not do that on my demo ride though I was able to reach down and notice it has play to spin a bit.

Last edited:
No gas cap movement for me. Maybe if you rev it out to the limiter and deliberately hammer it to make it shake but why would you/we?

My gas cap cover will spin when it's locked, until I unlock it the top cover will spin around easily, as designed. I haven't noticed mine spin while riding but I expect it will do that some.

Mine will spin (machined version) if it isn't fully "engaged" I'm not sure how to describe what I mean. Mine has a certain amount of play after it is fully closed.

Back