Clutch failure 2021 FE @ 1,430 Miles!

Any info on clutch failures on a 2021 FE Bike? has 1,430 miles. Started it up for a ride today, pulled the clutch in all the way and kicked in 1st gear, bike jumped forward, I hit the stop button to prevent further forward travel, as I was heading toward a steep down hill drive way. Discovered clutch fluid dripping from under the handlebar area on my oil cooler? Will need to be towed to the dealership in the morning - not sure if anyone else has experienced this? The clutch wasn't able to disengage the transmission from the engine for some reason?

Were you able to locate the source of the leak?
Maybe try adjusting the clutch lever further out, which may give it more travel vs bottoming out against the grip?

Any info on clutch failures on a 2021 FE Bike? has 1,430 miles. Started it up for a ride today, pulled the clutch in all the way and kicked in 1st gear, bike jumped forward, I hit the stop button to prevent further forward travel, as I was heading toward a steep down hill drive way. Discovered clutch fluid dripping from under the handlebar area on my oil cooler? Will need to be towed to the dealership in the morning - not sure if anyone else has experienced this? The clutch wasn't able to disengage the transmission from the engine for some reason?
Not that this should happen and while it has prevented you from riding it sounds like a very minor repair.

If it is leaking from the handlebar area it is likely a loose reservoir cap, hose fitting and/or seal and gravity is helping the escaping fluid find it's way down to the cooler.

The clutch is not damaged by the sound of your description, but with air in the system/lack of fluid when you pulled the lever the air was compressed whereas the fluid can't be so you have an end result in this case of no disengaging of the clutch due to the lack of hydraulic pressure and she jumped forward on you.

By the way, BMW uses "mineral oil" for the clutch fluid as opposed to "brake fluid" like some other systems/OEMs use. An inconvenience is one has to have the proper brake and mineral oils if they service/bleed their brake and clutch fluids, but in your case the real benefit is mineral oil is easily cleaned up without the worries of paint damage like brake fluid can cause if left on painted surfaces for even a relatively short peiod of time.

Anyway, Good luck, it should be easily and quickly sorted and please let us know what the final verdict was.

🍻

Not that this should happen and while it has prevented you from riding it sounds like a very minor repair.

If it is leaking from the handlebar area it is likely a loose reservoir cap, hose fitting and/or seal and gravity is helping the escaping fluid find it's way down to the cooler.

The clutch is not damaged by the sound of your description, but with air in the system/lack of fluid when you pulled the lever the air was compressed whereas the fluid can't be so you have an end result in this case of no disengaging of the clutch due to the lack of hydraulic pressure and she jumped forward on you.

By the way, BMW uses "mineral oil" for the clutch fluid as opposed to "brake fluid" like some other systems/OEMs use. An inconvenience is one has to have the proper brake and mineral oils if they service/bleed their brake and clutch fluids, but in your case the real benefit is mineral oil is easily cleaned up without the worries of paint damage like brake fluid can cause if left on painted surfaces for even a relatively short peiod of time.

Anyway, Good luck, it should be easily and quickly sorted and please let us know what the final verdict was.

🍻
Learned today, by observation, the clutch fluid is a blue colored mineral oil that is leaking. I think you are correct BobW, with a leaking line somwhere that now appears to be coming from under the fuel tank, I have lost function of the clutch. Local BMW Motorrad dealer advised me to call Road Side Assistance in the morning and have the bike towed to their shop to be inspected since it's still under warranty. Stay tuned, might be a bad seal or something minor, but has sure been a BIG inconvenience!

Ohhh, I can help. They poorly crimped the clutch lines on the R18s. After my engine problems, my bike started leaking clutch line fluid. I dont think its under the tank but the crap goes everywhere, it's right at the handlebar. They replaced the clutch line after waiting a month for the part. My leak wasn't pretty but I caught it right away. I wrpped a paper towel and some tie wraps around it and made sure the resrvoir stayed full. Its just mineral oil and they'll clean the bike for you because it sprays everywhere.

Learned today, by observation, the clutch fluid is a blue colored mineral oil that is leaking. I think you are correct BobW, with a leaking line somwhere that now appears to be coming from under the fuel tank, I have lost function of the clutch. Local BMW Motorrad dealer advised me to call Road Side Assistance in the morning and have the bike towed to their shop to be inspected since it's still under warranty. Stay tuned, might be a bad seal or something minor, but has sure been a BIG inconvenience!
Source of the leaking clutch fluid was a defective line. There are two sections of the clutch line - first part goes from the clutch lever, second line (#5) goes down under the fuel tank to the clutch slave cylinder which is real difficult to get to I'm told for replacement or line bleeding. Dealer said they had to remove the rear wheel and inner fender cover for access. Apparently per dealer, my bike is the first to suffer a clutch line failure on the first edition.

Attachments

• R18 Clutch Lines.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Source of the leaking clutch fluid was a defective line. There are two sections of the clutch line - first part goes from the clutch lever, second line (#5) goes down under the fuel tank to the clutch slave cylinder which is real difficult to get to I'm told for replacement or line bleeding. Dealer said they had to remove the rear wheel and inner fender cover for access. Apparently per dealer, my bike is the first to suffer a clutch line failure on the first edition.
Thanks for the follow up information!

Back