Chrome heat shield protection

rem47

Site Supporter
Has anyone else experienced the mid exhaust heat shields getting scratches from boot heels, either from when pushing out the side-stand, or perhaps just from inadvertently resting on them when riding. Is there such a thing a a clear heat resistant tape that could be used to protect them?

My 2021 Classic bike which is new to me has these scratches, as did another used one I looked at. They are not unsightly yet but I could see them getting that way. A slight design flaw in my view.

I agree and have faint evidence of same scratches. It is less than ideal for sure. I noticed it early in my ownsership days and take extra care when lowering the sidestand and I try to keep my boots away from the pipe when riding. There is also the challenge of the very front of the exhaust pipes being exposed to all the road debris. I am searching for evidence of some folks who may wrap the front portion to protect the chrome. So far I have not seen it, though it seems a sensible option to me. I will be at the dealer tomorrow and will inquire and post the response.

Perhaps a strip of traction tape would help, since it doesn't get very hot the regular 3m product might do the trick. It wouldn't be chrome but it might help prevent boot heels from rubbing/slipping on the surface. The contrasting gray/black color might be ok if a smooth curve is used to just cover the area of concern, it's a thought anyways.

I use mothers chrome polish on my headers and most other chrome after every couple of rides.. that's after first removing what I can of fried bugs, tar, etc.. It kept my headers looking great on my R12C for 36k miles.

Last edited:
Back