Brand and tire life on the R18

note R18B & R18TC recommended tire pressure is 42/46 ( R18 & R18C are 36/42 )

R18B/R18TC Tire inflation pressures
Front tire pressure 42.1 psi (2.9 bar), with cold tires, one-up and two-up riding
Rear tire pressure 46.4 psi (3.2 bar), with cold tires, one-up and two-up mode

R18/R18C Tire inflation pressures
Front tire pressure 36.3 psi (2.5 bar), with tire cold
Rear tire pressure 42.1 psi (2.9 bar), One-up mode, with cold tires
42.1 psi (2.9 bar), Two-up mode with load, with cold tires

info from https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/de/rider-manual

Last edited:
Plenty left at 6k miles, images of remaining tire tread on R18 Base F&R 6,024m / R18TC F&R 6,494m

R18TCFE_Front_6494_miles.jpgR18TCFE_Rear_6494_miles.jpg

R18FE_Front_6024_miles.jpgR18FE_Rear_6024_miles.jpg

@VARG

With similar mileage on both tires do you have a favorite?
The tires all behave well and consistently, I'd say the front Michelin on the R18 Base can be a little squirrely with little ruts and grooves, but they are all very nice, especially after they warm up. I do notice that they seem to behave more evenly after a few miles, especially on the TC. I expect I'll replace them with the same at this point, no reason not to. Although, I would be looking to do tubeless on the R18 Base one way or another when I do put new tires on.

The tires all behave well and consistently, I'd say the front Michelin on the R18 Base can be a little squirrely with little ruts and grooves, but they are all very nice, especially after they warm up. I do notice that they seem to behave more evenly after a few miles, especially on the TC. I expect I'll replace them with the same at this point, no reason not to. Although, I would be looking to do tubeless on the R18 Base one way or another when I do put new tires on.
Thanks for your assessment. I'll make a decision on tubeless options over the winter months. I love the look of the laced rims and it's less $$ to install a "tubeless" kit, but the cast rims have the peace of mind advantage although I've read only good reports on the kits when they're properly applied.

Cheers

15,000 on the original M3 and had 3/32 left.
Would have run them a bit longer but planned a trip to the west coast line.

My FE came with Michelin Commander III that I changed out with the spoke wheels to cast wheels at 3,500 miles. I didn't care for the lack of grooves in the rear tire's main contact area for wet riding. On the new cast wheels, I installed Bridgestones, as they were cheaper than Metzlers and Michelins at the time.

I now have about 14,000 miles on the bike, with at least 10,000 miles on the Bridgestones and no issues and plenty or tread remaining on both tires. I'll remount the original Michelins once the Bridgestones wear out.

They hold the road very well and not a hard riding tire (for me). So far, I'm pleased with the Bridgestone's overall performance and was anticipating having to replace them at 7-10 K miles when I purchased them, so I'm pleasantly surprised they have plenty of tread with 10 K on them. I'd purchase another set without giving it a thought.

I generally always run Metzlers as the best all-around tire on my other bikes.

If Avon comes out with a set, I might give them a try. I've used their Venom-X tires before and could get over 17,000 on a rear tire on a R1200C.

Just went in for my 6,000 mile service and state inspection and was told that my tires didn't pass. My R18 has Bridgestone tires. After researching the ones available, I narrowed it down to either the Michelin Commander 3 or Metzeler ME888. Decided to go with the Michelin this time. Hopefully, they will last longer than the OEM Bridgestones.

I thought it interesting that the Pure comes with Bridgestone and the Classic with Michelin. I saw the same between the Bagger and TC.

About 1,600 miles, so not enough to really tell on tread life. I am very satisfied with the ride and handling though.

I ride a lot of bikes so none of them get a lot of miles... (y)

Interesting that they put different brands on the same model.
Its not that uncommon, especially with supply chain constraints. A manufacturer will qualify a few sets of tires for a bike and then be able to use whichever ones they have stock on. Especially when you consider the tire size might be only for the one model. For example, the Pure, B & TC all use the same size tire (but may use different load ratings), while the Classic is a different size. None of the R18 tires are used on other BMW bikes as that is their only cruiser range, so inventory management of the tires is more challenging.

Probably easier for someone like Harley where there is much more overlap in chassis & tire size across their entire model range to stick with one brand of tires.

After 6 months i had the same issue on my front tire wear prematurily...Michelin replaced under warranty again.... so im on my 3rd set since new ... bike has now 14200 miles. Rear still original and in good condition. Running Commander lll... got i newer batch this time mid 21.May be was an issue on the 19's and early 20's batch... will find out this time.

just prepping my Classic FE for a sturgis run from FL and was advised for new tires at only 7.5k miles on the bike...disappointing treadwear...going to go for metzlers like on my R12C...Anybody tried 888's on the R18? And what kind of case did u have to make for warranty on the michelin's?

just prepping my Classic FE for a sturgis run from FL and was advised for new tires at only 7.5k miles on the bike...disappointing treadwear...going to go for metzlers like on my R12C...Anybody tried 888's on the R18? And what kind of case did u have to make for warranty on the michelin's?
What kind of tires do you have on it?

What kind of tires do you have on it?
Please let me know if I may have a case in warranty claim for the tires.

I now have another thing that has me anxious....I had the stock Michelin's with the 130/80r16 on front. As it now stands, I opted for new tires and the 19/16 front/rear chrome wheels from BMW.

As a result, I am switching my tires to Metzler 888s and going to 120/70R19 on the front. That's a slightly narrower and lower profile tire.

I know many of you ride with a 19" front and 120/70R19.... I am use too the fatter, taller 16" spoked front rim and tire at 130/80R16. Opinions on how it will change the character of the bike?

Work gets done on Saturday. Very interested in your opinions as to the wheel change?

Last edited:
My FE came with Michelin Commander III that I changed out with the spoke wheels to cast wheels at 3,500 miles. I didn't care for the lack of grooves in the rear tire's main contact area for wet riding. On the new cast wheels, I installed Bridgestones, as they were cheaper than Metzlers and Michelins at the time.

I now have about 14,000 miles on the bike, with at least 10,000 miles on the Bridgestones and no issues and plenty or tread remaining on both tires. I'll remount the original Michelins once the Bridgestones wear out.

They hold the road very well and not a hard riding tire (for me). So far, I'm pleased with the Bridgestone's overall performance and was anticipating having to replace them at 7-10 K miles when I purchased them, so I'm pleasantly surprised they have plenty of tread with 10 K on them. I'd purchase another set without giving it a thought.

I generally always run Metzlers as the best all-around tire on my other bikes.

If Avon comes out with a set, I might give them a try. I've used their Venom-X tires before and could get over 17,000 on a rear tire on a R1200C.
Just check on my tires earlier today. I have a 2023 R18B. It came with the Bridgestone's. I presently have 9430 miles on than and they look like may 2000 miles +/- left in them. Not sure what I'm going to go to next. Before this bike I ran Dunlops on the RT's I owned.

I have just done the annual maintenance of my R18 and surprise, the dealer showed me that my front tire is at the limit of wear on the left side.

The tires are the BATTLECRUISE H50 BRIDGESTONE, fitted as standard, and have less than 8000km.

Seems to me a bit fast as wear...

What is your experience and which tire brand
Giles, for what it's worth I got 10,000km out of the first front tyre on my B. Replacement was shot by 6,000km. At that stage (16,000km) the rear needed replacement. All tyres were Bridgestone, which performed well enough wet or dry.

As I have stated in other threads, make sure if you replace your tires with Michelin Commander IIIs you get the correct version. There is a Touring and a Cruiser variant of the Commander IIIs. The Touring version appears better suited for the Bagger and TC models.

Back