Bmw loud ticking

I've seen a video by Scott S that walks through the valve adjust process. I always did my own on the R1200C since I had a back stand on the bike. As of now I'll need to get a lift for the R18 to do my own valves.

Doesn’t sound particularly noisy to me. Was that a warm engine (properly upto temperature) or on a cold start? Also what mileage and if beyond the 6000 mile mark were the valves checked by someone who knows what they are doing? I would be more concerned if it was too quiet tbh.

Doesn’t sound particularly noisy to me. Was that a warm engine (properly upto temperature) or on a cold start? Also what mileage and if beyond the 6000 mile mark were the valves checked by someone who knows what they are doing? I would be more concerned if it was too quiet tbh.
I agree with all the above ... also I noticed on mine that she ticks when I start her .. as she warms up it gets noticeably louder and then quiets back down. My theory, the cylinders 'grow' with temperature faster than the pushrods (remember this is a pushrod engine) and it quiets down after they have expanded as well ... just my 2¢ ;)

I agree with all the above ... also I noticed on mine that she ticks when I start her .. as she warms up it gets noticeably louder and then quiets back down. My theory, the cylinders 'grow' with temperature faster than the pushrods (remember this is a pushrod engine) and it quiets down after they have expanded as well ... just my 2¢ ;)

X2

Back