Bike died

CVLAO

So on Easter morning my son and I decided to take a day to go riding, we rode for about 4 to 5 hours and stopped for lunch. All is well then on the trip back home traveling at 75 m.p.h. with the cruise control on in heavy traffic, dead-bike.. totally no lights/turn signals/horn..and I mean nothing. So I try to motion to traffic that I am trying to get over to the shoulder to see what's up. Get on the shoulder try to start the bike and it fires right up. Two weeks ago I am riding back from Tucson and going up a rise at about 6 % grade with the cruise set around 75 m.p.h. the bike totally died for about 1 to 2 seconds, then continues to run as if nothing happened. Whats up....has anyone had this happen to them?

Oh geez.
If I had to guess I would say some kind of electrical/ECU issue.
Sounds like a dealer issue.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Maybe you get lucky and someone knows an easy fix.
Sounds like it has only happened with cruise control on?
Hmmmm.
Im in Tucson and taking delivery next week.

I really hope that they can figure this issue out because we REALLY love this bike, so much that I am selling my 1954 Chevy sedan delivery to buy an R-18 Classic for our estimating vehicle for our business. Wish you the best in your new purchase.

I've not had any power failures on my TC in over 12k miles since October 2021.
Agree with @evomind, dealer could check fault history, ensure latest software, etc.
Could a short do this? Perhaps check power/connecting sockets for contaminants.
Thought maybe a kickstand sensor but I don't think that would cut power to lights, horn, etc.
Is battery charging normally, could help detect aberrations in the system.
Best fortune getting to the bottom of this, or at least making it stop happening.

Just tryin to help.

Check all the plug in connectors by disconnecting them and plugging them back.re-torque the battery ternminal screws(My R18C battery location is a pita).
At least yearly I spray WD-40 inside all the buttons.Starter,turn signal,hi/lo beam,cruise,kill switch etc.
Since it is a cleaner it helps the connectors.

Just tryin to help.

Check all the plug in connectors by disconnecting them and plugging them back.re-torque the battery ternminal screws(My R18C battery location is a pita).
At least yearly I spray WD-40 inside all the buttons.Starter,turn signal,hi/lo beam,cruise,kill switch etc.
Thanks...I'll give that a go for sure. Appreciate it.

Seems like a good precaution! Do you spray beside the buttons or do you dismount the switch controls or the handles?

Would spilling leave stains on the switch controls? Some plastics seem to absorb oil.

Seems like a good precaution! Do you spray beside the buttons or do you dismount the switch controls or the handles?

Would spilling leave stains on the switch controls? Some plastics seem to absorb oil.
I use the red tube/straw and push it in between the metal housing and plastic button.Does not hurt plastic.I also use it to refresh the black engine on my Indian.I spray it when the black engine gets dull and then start the bike up to burn it off.It vaporizes and the powdercoating looks new,almost moist.I also use it on a rag to clean the tires and rims.I spray the cloth the clean the rims and rubber tires.I wipe it very clean & dry then I wash them with mild soap to keep them fresh.Remember WD-40 is a cleaner(W-Water D-Dipersing).I don't use it for lubrication although I guess some folks do.
In areas that need special attention to electrical connection,dielectric grease is best.Like my locking saddlebag connectors.

Lastly,not to flame as there are many opinions.This is my answer to your question.

Thanks for those tips, I guess I'm guilty of using WD-40 mostly for lubrication, when there are so many other use cases! Such an easy service on the switch controls, and I'm gonna try it on rims and tires too.

Thanks for those tips, I guess I'm guilty of using WD-40 mostly for lubrication, when there are so many other use cases! Such an easy service on the switch controls, and I'm gonna try it on rims and tires too.
Just be careful not to leave the WD-40 wet or spray it directly on the tires.Some times I just rinse it off with plain water as it will attract a little dust.Fo me the rubber stays fresh and the rims atsy clean from road grease/debris.

So on Easter morning my son and I decided to take a day to go riding, we rode for about 4 to 5 hours and stopped for lunch. All is well then on the trip back home traveling at 75 m.p.h. with the cruise control on in heavy traffic, dead-bike.. totally no lights/turn signals/horn..and I mean nothing. So I try to motion to traffic that I am trying to get over to the shoulder to see what's up. Get on the shoulder try to start the bike and it fires right up. Two weeks ago I am riding back from Tucson and going up a rise at about 6 % grade with the cruise set around 75 m.p.h. the bike totally died for about 1 to 2 seconds, then continues to run as if nothing happened. Whats up....has anyone had this happen to them?
The same thing happened to me on April 16. My R18 TC had done about 2100 miles. The engine just shut down, and refused to restart. I managed to pull the bike safely to the shoulder and switched everything off. Fortunately, it restarted after that. Previously, at about 1700 miles, a message came on warning that the engine was too hot and instructed me to find a parking spot. Outside temp was about 70F.
Has your bike shut down since?

Just take it to the dealer. That what a beautiful 3 yr 36k warranty is all about. You bought one of the most advanced motos on the planet. Let the oem deal with it and then let us know. I read these responses and want to puke

Well Ironhorse BMW of Tucson Arizona where I originally bought the bike from, has had the bike for the past three weeks. I have received 1 phone call simply to explain to me that they have not been able to replicate the same issue, nor has any of their BMW techs have had this ever happen before. While their 3-YR / 36k warranty was 1 of the main reasons we decided to purchase a BMW motorcycle, it is NOT worth the paper it's written on if the same problem should happen while my Wife or 10 year old daughter is riding with me and the safety is not there. Right now BMW is going to have to pull something out of their behind in order to not only regain my faith in their product, but also from keep my from selling or trading in this bike when I get it back. Owning my own business for the past 19 years and having over 1,300 customers to service, customer satisfaction is priority.

Well Ironhorse BMW of Tucson Arizona where I originally bought the bike from, has had the bike for the past three weeks. I have received 1 phone call simply to explain to me that they have not been able to replicate the same issue, nor has any of their BMW techs have had this ever happen before. While their 3-YR / 36k warranty was 1 of the main reasons we decided to purchase a BMW motorcycle, it is NOT worth the paper it's written on if the same problem should happen while my Wife or 10 year old daughter is riding with me and the safety is not there. Right now BMW is going to have to pull something out of their behind in order to not only regain my faith in their product, but also from keep my from selling or trading in this bike when I get it back. Owning my own business for the past 19 years and having over 1,300 customers to service, customer satisfaction is priority.
I hope you get it resolved. I'd be freaking out if I had that issue with my 2021 R18C. Posts like this make me paranoid. I've been a Honda guy pretty much for 40 years. They've been basically perfect bikes in reliability regard. I was told that BMWs are very reliable.

Just tryin to help.

Similar here, the only difference is that I use ACF-50.
Been using that for years on my vehicles and works like a champ. If it is good enough to protect a multi million jet fighter is good enough for me.
We put a lot of salt in the UK roads over winter so for me this product is a must.

So went to pick up the bike last Saturday morning, and was told that the salesman that sold me the bike, along with the owner of Ironhorse BMW, along with their head tech have all ridden the bike and could NOT get it to repeat the issue. So upon receiving that info went to get on my bike and it was VERY clear that they just kept this thing outside exposed to the elements and did not even clean it up. Not to mention that they ran 1/2 a tank of gas while test riding it. WOW I am so done with the lack of professionalism, courtesy, and service.

Man, that sucks!!!! Did you complain to them and pointed out all these?
If that was me I would be giving them a piece of my thoughts. Half a tank of fuel may have been necessary for some testing but leaving the bike outside to gather dirt is not on.

A couple of years ago I took my F13 for an oil change at the local BMW garage. Because of work I left it there first thing and collected it in the afternoon. Immediately, after getting in the car I noticed that the seat position was outrageously different to mine, very low and leaned back so much you can sleep. The front passenger seat was on similar configuration. The mirrors setting altered and then I could see I was missing quite a bit of fuel. Anyway, I did not say an thing and whilst on the garage still I went to the trip computer and I could see that someone drove my car at lunch time for around 25 miles each way. Boy I was furious. Without saying much I went to the main reception and calmly I requested to see the manager. This fella came down all suited and booted and I told him a few things about whoever took my car for a spin whilst it was in their care which was not necessary as there was not a need for a test drive, especially not 50 miles.I told him that taking my car without my consent is actually a violation and to imagine what could have happened if the car was involved in an accident. I did not give him a chance and asked him what was he was going to do to make it right. Not only he refunded the entire service which for memory was £270.00, he promised me to investigate and ensure this does not happen again. He actually said not to let this experience change my opinion and to keep coming back for my service needs.

I don't understand the total lack of customer care or satisfaction. Upon my 1st service with this bike at the same dealership we purchased it from, my Wife wanted to surprise me with a BMW-supplied touring windshield. She called and spoke to their parts person and they said no problem getting it AND installing it. Upon picking it up that time they ordered a masked windshield that was the exact size of the existing windshield on the bike. Not their touring windshield...and on top of that it IS scratched! When we called and complained about this they wanted to give us a STORE CREDIT at 50% value of the brand-new windshield we just bought. WHAT? We are self-employed and service over 1,200 customers within a 75-mile radius, just my Wife and I. We have been #1 on Angies List for over 10 years because we CARE about our customers, their wants, and their needs, and if we ever come to an impasse dealing with a customer, we simply refund their money. No haggling...no excuses...I don't understand how a huge company such as BMW is truly lacking in this area of customer communication and customer needs.
WE ARE DONE WITH BMW...PERIOD!

You know, I think there is a pattern here when it comes to customer care in terms of post sale servicing from Motorrad. I requested the break in service via the app on Sunday and I was told someone will call me to confirm. Nothing happened so yesterday I did the same but this time the app did not finalise the request so I called the service line on the shop I bought the bike from. No one answered so I left a message. Nobody has called me so I called again today and after a bit one of the parts guys picked the phone and told me the call came to his line because nobody was picking up. He took my details and said he will pass them on so someone would call me shortly. That was 6 hrs ago and counting. I have paid for a 5 years service pack so they have my money already therefore I won’t let it go. If they don’t call me by tomorrow I will write a no so polite email and demand they book a slot at my convenience. I don’t want to go through this kind of situation everytime I need a service. Like you, if I treat my clients the way I have been treated so far I would have been out of business by now.

The opposite has to be said from the car division. Apart from the isolated incident I mentioned before, the service I have received from the same garage in the last 15 years I have owned bimmers has been very good and the guys there make you feel a bit special.

I don't understand the total lack of customer care or satisfaction. Upon my 1st service with this bike at the same dealership we purchased it from, my Wife wanted to surprise me with a BMW-supplied touring windshield. She called and spoke to their parts person and they said no problem getting it AND installing it. Upon picking it up that time they ordered a masked windshield that was the exact size of the existing windshield on the bike. Not their touring windshield...and on top of that it IS scratched! When we called and complained about this they wanted to give us a STORE CREDIT at 50% value of the brand-new windshield we just bought. WHAT? We are self-employed and service over 1,200 customers within a 75-mile radius, just my Wife and I. We have been #1 on Angies List for over 10 years because we CARE about our customers, their wants, and their needs, and if we ever come to an impasse dealing with a customer, we simply refund their money. No haggling...no excuses...I don't understand how a huge company such as BMW is truly lacking in this area of customer communication and customer needs.
WE ARE DONE WITH BMW...PERIOD!
Find a new dealership if possible.

Back