Another BMW

Hello everyone here, I just joined up here with purchase of 21 First edition R18. I'm a little confused on model it could be a classic. It has custom silver metalic paint with the option 719 goodies, I'll get a picture posted tomorrow. This makes my fourth BMW and I bet it will be as good as previous machines. I been riding 62 yrs. this year on all brands. I am retired master mechanic, so I do all repairs myself. looking forward to learning another machine and making friends here. ride em if you got um.

Hello Ulrich how are ya? I'm A very young 70 going on 35;) My dad put me on a Sears all-state in 1962. I think it was really a Puch imported from over there somewhere. That was a lot of bikes ago. It shifted on the handle bar too.
Holy $hit you got some miles on 2 wheels!!! Welcome young man (going of the 35) I hope you enjoy your ride as much as I do mine ;)
... and Puch -> Austria ... started on a Zündapp myself :D

Hello everyone here, I just joined up here with purchase of 21 First edition R18. I'm a little confused on model it could be a classic. It has custom silver metalic paint with the option 719 goodies, I'll get a picture posted tomorrow. This makes my fourth BMW and I bet it will be as good as previous machines. I been riding 62 yrs. this year on all brands. I am retired master mechanic, so I do all repairs myself. looking forward to learning another machine and making friends here. ride em if you got um.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new machine. Loads of info and good people here.
Enjoy and looking forward to learn from you as well.

Spent first day of ownership studying the riders manual and learning the functions. I had to raise the handlebars a little for better fit also removed the saddle bags and passenger backrest for now. I struggled with the shift pedals for a while trying to get them to fit, ended up removing the cover there at the power port near shifter to access the adjustable linkage rod. I then rode about a hundred miles and smiles. It's a low revving torque monster, nothing like the nine-t which revs very quickly with its dual overhead chain driven cams. Definitely nothing like the K1600 baggers smooth as silk 160+ horsepower. I think this bike and I will be great friends.

It is definitely a different experience altogether.
May not be the best out there but certainly give many a run for their money and a unique character.
In any variant, the R18 has a big road presence, specially in the rear view mirrors of the driver on front.
She will give you many smiles per miles.

"... low revving torque monster, nothing like the nine-t which revs very quickly with its dual overhead chain driven cams. Definitely nothing like the K1600 baggers smooth as silk 160+ horsepower. I think this bike and I will be great friends."

You described a couple of the things that, at 65 y.o., I love about the R18! Very different from the great bikes that you mention, in a way that works for me! I went to the dealer to buy a K1600 and rode home with an R18 Transcontinental, smiling all the way.

Enjoy!

I waa able to ride them back to backn about 1-2 hours each. It's a bit of an understatement to say I was a little surprised that I preferred the R18 TC over the oh-so-awesome K1600!

Personally I believe, not only on this forum but in the many, many new videos out there.....The R18 and its derivatives are now beginning to see the light among all the doubters and nay-sayers! Over the next 12-18 months will show much more appreciation for this fine product!

They are both two definitely different rides. I do happen to have both a 2016 K1600GTL and 2023 R18B. The K1600 takes me back to my sports bike riding days but siting in an upright position, if I am not careful rolling on that throttle she will surely stand up on me. I prefer riding her right now if I have to do any distance riding or need space to carry something in the bags. The R18 is more of a laid back cruiser with lots of torque and pure fun on a back country road. Just currently neither wife or I can't take more than 40 mins sitting without a rest break due to the seats.

Back