Americade: Lake George NY June 7-11, 2022

VARG

Premium Member
Site Supporter
Elite Member
Huge annual rally in upstate NY.
Great location, lots of action, big manufacturer presence, awesome rides in the region, lots of lodging but plan ahead to be certain.

BMW is going in strong with the R18 Demo Rides: MODELS AVAILABLE:
  • 2022 R 18 Transcontinental
  • 2022 R 18 Transcontinental First Edition
  • 2022 R 18 B
  • 2022 R 18 B First Edition
  • 2022 R 18 B Option 719
  • 2021 R 18 Classic
  • 2021 R 18 Classic First Edition
  • 2021 R 18
  • 2021 R 18 First Edition

Last edited:
Americade - Lake George NY June 7-11 : I rode up to Lake George last weekend to scope out the route, went from Hartford CT, through Springfield MA, and Albany NY, to Lake George NY. Great ride, except for some punishing road surface on I87 Northway for a few exits north of Saratoga (exit 15), can be circumvented on Rte 9 if it's bothersome. I expect to get a good feel for the response to R18 up there. BMW has big plans for the event, and there are lots of great roads to cruise on in the north country. The Adirondacks in Upstate NY are a nice day ride from home, about 350 mile ride round trip, so far done it a few times on the FE and a few more times on the TC, the rough road on I87 is a real character builder on the FE with the stock seat.

Last edited:
It's always a good time. I like just riding over to Lake George from Vermont. Good roads, nice scenery, stop for a maple creamee or a glass of craft beer. I was in Lake George off-peak (January) and it's a ghost town but Americade is good even if it's just a day-trip.

VARG, I am glad you posted this !!

I was not aware of this event. I live in NYCity so this is not that far away.

And from the information posted on the link..... It sure looks at lot better than any "Sturges" type event that you could NOT even pay me to attend.

I have a minimum IQ requirement of the average event participant in order to have interest in an event or gathering....

For Americade this year I'll be riding up and around the area a few times during the week. Probably park and walk the village at least once, find a cookout somewhere and absorb the atmosphere, the pervasive rumble that fills the air all week long. No plan, no schedule, put the pager away, tape over the clock. Will be watching for R18's though, great place to showplace customs, may catch a few pictures.

And the following week, I expect to checkout Laconia at some point,

The Steamboats are operated from a pier on Beach Road, at the south end of the lake, part of Lake George Village, and right across the street from the battleground park where some of the festival has been based in the past. When they get the calliope cranking on the boats it's really a carnival atmosphere. Cruising Beach Road and Canada Street (main street) is a bit tedious sometimes at these events, but always epic. Amazing where you'll see bikes parked, many deep sometimes, be wary we found a tiny probably not legal spot some years back, came back after 20 mins and there were 10 more bikes parked all around ours, luckily, we were able to squeeze out.

Transcontinental at Americade 2022, parked on Canada Street, this time just down the hill and on the other side of the road from House of Frankenstein. These were taken in the morning on Saturday 10 June 2022. The traffic was constantly incredibly interesting, a constant change of tune as Bikes of all descriptions tooled past, some literally breathing fire, others thundering like the apocalypse was nigh, and the variety and presence of HD was phenomenal as usual :D. I put about 2500 miles on the TC in the past week in upstate NY, CT and MA, many good quality conversations with other riders at both Americade and interstate rest areas. Time now for the 6000 mile service. The bike has performed admirably, the mechanical sounds remind me of a sewing machine, or a loom.. a little more prominent when engine is very hot, lower rpms almost more of a tictictic-ing. It's deliciously smooth, practically silent in many states of cruising. I have gotten very comfortable in the 719 saddle, the TC is very stable and tracks like a laser, although on some patchy road surfaces can be a bit jostled. High speed travel on gusty days, or crosswinds, can require a bit more diligence, as a fared bikes profile would be expected. The adaptive cruise control is truly a wonder to behold, and functions perfectly, but need to stay aware of some tendencies, better be ready letting it accelerate out of a pocket on a curve as it can necessitate having to pull into the corner harder to stay on the pavement. Careful in traffic, It does do a great job detecting adjacent vehicles' dynamically accelerating and slowing, but has limitations so best often to just do it the old way. The bike is just getting better and better, I expect we'll be doing a few more Americades together. (y)

This link is to Biker Event Photos, cool candid shots of riders, folks can order prints if desired.

Attachments

• 2022_R18TCFE_on_Canada_Street_001a.jpg
    2022_R18TCFE_on_Canada_Street_001a.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2022_R18TCFE_on_Canada_Street_002a.jpg
    2022_R18TCFE_on_Canada_Street_002a.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back