ADD HEEL SHIFT LEVER TO R18 FIRST EDITION

Has anyone found a heel shift lever that can be added on to an R18 First Edition, (K34), at a somewhat reasonable price? After 26 bikes, (the last 6were HDs), every mod seems to be a labor. The BMW dealers don't show the part for the R18 FE, but there is a lever for the B, TC, etc., but three out of three calls to dealers couldn't assure me it would fir the R18 FE. At this point add-ons are limited, expensive, and a challenge to find. If BMW really wants the R18 to be a success they need to identify the accessory issue and address it more aggressively.

Assuming you mean the Pure when you say First Edition. All the models (Pure, Classic, B & Transcontinental) were available with the First Edition package. My R18 Classic First Edition has the heel shifter & it can work on the Pure, but you probably want the floorboards as the peg may feel awkward.

I don't know exactly what my model is but its has the heel & toe shifter and floorboards. I suspect the issue with the heel shifter fitment might be the longer fulcrum shaft having both requires. On my HDs I took the heel shifter off because my size UK12 boots were too long to fit on the floorboards but the R18 is perfect in this regard. I find its a little awkward geting my heel in place quick enough to grab second on a quick take off, the heel position is not as intuitive as the toe alone.

Downsi
Reverse the Toe and Heel on the spline : heel on the outside. Easier to shift.
Downside is it takes up more space where your heel would be.
I don't know exactly what my model is but its has the heel & toe shifter and floorboards. I suspect the issue with the heel shifter fitment might be the longer fulcrum shaft having both requires. On my HDs I took the heel shifter off because my size UK12 boots were too long to fit on the floorboards but the R18 is perfect in this regard. I find its a little awkward geting my heel in place quick enough to grab second on a quick take off, the heel position is not as intuitive as the toe alone.
I’d suggest adjusting the height of the heel shifter on the spline first. My heel shifter was quite high, so I have to lift the heel quite a bit to engage it which can slow shift. Keep meaning to adjust it lower to speed this up, but I’ve gotten so used to it now and position my foot before I need to shift. Adjusting it could mean a quicker shift to second though and a bit less awkward feeling.

I've been looking for variable length shifter levers and can't find them anywhere. My custom floorboards are ten inches long and its time I do something about lever length.

Yes I am planning to buy the Wunderlich long peg. The only solution to the lever length problem is to buy another stock lever and saw out a section. I’ll use the cut out piece to lengthen the front lever, then re-weld the back one. Might have to put a sleeve on both.

Yes I am planning to buy the Wunderlich long peg. The only solution to the lever length problem is to buy another stock lever and saw out a section. I’ll use the cut out piece to lengthen the front lever, then re-weld the back one. Might have to put a sleeve on both.
Not sure if all the bikes have them, but on mine the toe has an eccentric cam like adjustment which allows you to rotate it up or down, forward and back. As far as the Wunderlich long peg, definitely recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_6824.jpg
    IMG_6824.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6838.jpg
    IMG_6838.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 41
Downsi

Downside is it takes up more space where your heel would be.

I’d suggest adjusting the height of the heel shifter on the spline first. My heel shifter was quite high, so I have to lift the heel quite a bit to engage it which can slow shift. Keep meaning to adjust it lower to speed this up, but I’ve gotten so used to it now and position my foot before I need to shift. Adjusting it could mean a quicker shift to second though and a bit less awkward feeling.
I tried switching them around but after a quick ride I put them back where the factory had them and tried harder. Still can't upshift as quickly as the toe method.

I’m getting the Wunderlich long peg so easier to find the downshift.

Back