A perfect stranger

Rufus

Site Supporter
Morning,

Yesterday I went to my local (Council owned) gym, like I do three times a week. Been going there for years and know most people who work there or train there pretty well by now.

However, there was a new chap on the desk, as soon as he spoke I noticed his American accent. So, we exchanged pleasantries and I got booked in, had my workout and then upon leaving (it was quiet by then) I had opportunity for a much better chat.

What a thoroughly charming and interesting guy he was. It turned out we had a lot in common, both of similar age, he had worked for many years in a high security prison, (I was Police BTW), he was from the East Coast (Maryland) and had moved over to England with his (English) wife 4 years ago.

The conversation flowed very easily, I was interested to hear what he thought about England and obviously I was just as keen to ask about America, we laughed a lot and gave thanks for making it through ok. We spoke for quite a while. I hope to catch him again.

As I was driving around afterwards (running errands) I actually thought about this forum. Despite all the chaos in the world we ought to remind ourselves from time to time that there is an awful lot we have in common (and I don’t just mean motorcycles). We get our knickers in a twist over nonsense sometimes (self included) and what we are ‘fed’ by newspapers and tv stations often is biased one way or the other. It’s what they want. Division. Look someone in the eye, shake a hand, throw a big smile and go from there.

As the title says, a perfect stranger. Have a lovely day whoever you are, where ever you are ……

Last edited:
Morning,

Yesterday I went to my local (Council owned) gym, like I do three times a week. Been going there for years and know most people who work there or train there pretty well by now.

However, there was a new chap on the desk, as soon as he spoke I noticed his American accent. So, we exchanged pleasantries and I got booked in, had my workout and then upon leaving (it was quiet by then) I had opportunity for a much better chat.

What a thoroughly charming and interesting guy he was. It turned out we had a lot in common, both of similar age, he had worked for many years in a high security prison, (I was Police BTW), he was from the East Coast (Maryland) and had moved over to England with his (English) wife 4 years ago.

The conversation flowed very easily, I was interested to hear what he thought about England and obviously I was just as keen to ask about America, we laughed a lot and gave thanks for making it through ok. We spoke for quite a while. I hope to catch him again.

As I was driving around afterwards (running errands) I actually thought about this forum. Despite all the chaos in the world we ought to remind ourselves from time to time that there is an awful lot we have in common (and I don’t just mean motorcycles). We get our knickers in a twist over nonsense sometimes (self included) and what we are ‘fed’ by newspapers and tv stations often is biased one way or the other. It’s what they want. Division. Look someone in the eye, shake a hand, throw a big smile and go from there.

As the title says, a perfect stranger. Have a lovely day whoever you are, where ever you are ……
My motorcycle travels renewed my "faith in people" and it was much as you describe (I'm also retired Police). I think regardless ones political leanings, color, religion, etc. I have enjoyed interactions with everyone I have come across and can't recall one time where the interaction was predicated by a divisive comment or "interview process" like we are hammered with on every so called news cast and certainly on social media. When people turn off the rating chasing, nonsense and/or ignore the "social influencers" on Fake Book, et al and go out and about it is immediately apparent how "normal" most folks are and how easy it is to get sucked in and manipulated at least subconsciously. Covid solitary confinements for so long a duration didn't help either.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻

My motorcycle travels renewed my "faith in people" and it was much as you describe (I'm also retired Police). I think regardless ones political leanings, color, religion, etc. I have enjoyed interactions with everyone I have come across and can't recall one time where the interaction was predicated by a divisive comment or "interview process" like we are hammered with on every so called news cast and certainly on social media. When people turn off the rating chasing, nonsense and/or ignore the "social influencers" on Fake Book, et al and go out and about it is immediately apparent how "normal" most folks are and how easy it is to get sucked in and manipulated at least subconsciously. Covid solitary confinements for so long a duration didn't help either.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻
Ditto BobW! Everyone we meet on motorcycle journeys are strangers and I am happy to say that 100% of them are kind, friendly, and most of all helpful when you're in their neck of the woods looking for good food or fuel. Yes -- we all need that "renewed faith in people".

Agree to both points. On rides, I stop frequently and am more vulnerable as I cant just sit in the car, so I sit on the curb or on a nearby bench. Someone almost every stop strikes up a conversation that I wouldnt have had if I had driven by car. Each time its some connection point, the state on the license plate, the motorcycle, the brand or that I'm drinking coffee that someone identifies with.

Back