2022 Transcontinental bearing failure

DebRoy

Hi,

My husband has a 2022 TC with 13K KMs on it. He had been experiencing an occasional clunk sound and some vibration that was getting worse. He took it in to have it checked and he was told his bearings were shot and could have seized on him.

He doesn't ride on dirt roads or rough pavement to justify this happening after only 13,000 KM. Has anybody else had this issue?

Hi, I have not heard of this before and certainly 13K on a road bike is not mileage for a ball bearing to go wrong.
I would say it was either a defective ball bearing or something else like damage caused not by riding but perhaps an external source. Having said that, if the bearing seal was damaged then water, grit and other stuff can enter the grease that lubricates the ball bearings and damage the unit prematurely. Other stuff like break cleaner, which has a high alcohol content, will act like a degreaser if it comes into contact with the ball bearing who’s seal is damaged.

Is it safe to say that your husband's bike is still at the dealership, getting WARRANTY work performed concerning this bearing issue?

I'm going to ask my wife to get more involved with my R18 forum postings...

I'm going to assume you are being sincere about your wife getting more involved.

Wheel bearing? or somewhere in the drive train?

It was the dealer who called and stated it was the bearing. What's not making sense is the loud clunks that it made similar to the noise you would hear if not changing gears properly. The clunk sound was random, not linked to a speed or changing of gears.

Ok, so this is something different. It is not the ball bearings on the bike’s wheels, it is a ball bearing that supposedly is on the engine, for example, the bearings at the end of the crankshaft?

Ok, so this is something different. It is not the ball bearings on the bike’s wheels, it is a ball bearing that supposedly is on the engine, for example, the bearings at the end of the crankshaft?
This is why I asked ... there are dozens of bearings on the bike ... from ball bearings to sleeve, journal, throwout etc. bearings ... well you get the idea ... so the word 'bearing' is just a bit too general ;)

It was the dealer who called and stated it was the bearing. What's not making sense is the loud clunks that it made similar to the noise you would hear if not changing gears properly. The clunk sound was random, not linked to a speed or changing of gears.
It would be very helpful to everyone here exactly what bearing is affected. I also own a 2022 R18 TC and, if there's something I need to be more proactive on to avoid [BLANK] bearing failure, your dealership's exact response would be most appreciative!

Mike

Back