100th Anniversary R18 Value

Will the 100th Anniversary R18 hold its value better than the current models have

• Total voters

Michigan Tim

Elite Member
I have now purchased two R18s (pure) and (B) shortly after each was released. While I don’t regret it as I have loved both bikes, I have kicked myself on more than one occasion realizing how much I could have saved on either by waiting, even a year. As the 100th anniversary model should be released soon, the temptation is once again there to be an early owner, especially with the “limited number” of bikes being produced. That leads me to this question:

I think today manufacturers are running out of ideas 💡 unless it’s super technically computer sensitive gizmos by adding useless options to justify their products and price point. When I look at the 100th anniversary edition model I don’t find anything so special about the bike vs a regular production bike besides the fact that it has a 100th anniversary badges all over and they’re limited to 1000 units. No additional exclusivity like paint schemes accessories horsepower gains or special features like one off wheels that will spark people to purchase them. It’s a total gimmick.

I didn't buy my bike thinking I made a good investment, I wanted it. Want not need. How much have we all waisted on cell phone bills or coffee? Where is all this money that everyone saves by buying everything right? You only live once, and you're dying, both.

Not trying to be rude, but i dont look at a motorcycle puchase through the lens of investment. If you compare it to buying a truck you're saving a ton of money 💰 🤑

But back to your question, I think time will tell. Some of the most loved classics were ahead of their time. The 100 year models look awesome.

Last edited:
Wow... so sorry this is even a question... if investment is what you're looking for, motorcycles along with almost all cars, airplanes, boats, and damn near all other things ain't the answer... and as LCRC18B says, you only live once and we are all dying... go out and enjoy the ride!

Wow... so sorry this is even a question... if investment is what you're looking for, motorcycles along with almost all cars, airplanes, boats, and damn near all other things ain't the answer... and as LCRC18B says, you only live once and we are all dying... go out and enjoy the ride!
NEVER said I'm looking for it to be a good investment. I've been an investment advisor for 30 years and buying toys will almost never be classified as a good investment. (some of the beautiful vehicles on Barrett Jackson being the rare exception). I bought my R18 Pure in November of 2020 and it has lost almost 50% of it's value already. Bought my Bagger in September of 2021 and that is down roughly 40%. Anyone can see that these were horrible investments, but no one, including me, expected the prices to fall so much, so soon. Love the bikes however and the joy of riding them is not measured in dollars. Because I'm a sucker for the beauty and technology of these bikes, I am seriously considering the R18 anniversary model. My question is really asking, am I a complete sucker and is the price going to tank again, will it possibly hold up better as it's an anniversary model or should I exude some semblance of patience and see what the value looks like a year or so down the road. That's all. PLUS, it's the dead of winter in Michigan, so I can't be out riding or golfing, so trying to stir up some Forum activity for all of us poor souls in northern climates!

You newer members, who undoubtedly got great deals on your bikes, have to remember that there are many of us originals around this forum who cannot say the same thing.

NEVER said I'm looking for it to be a good investment. I've been an investment advisor for 30 years and buying toys will almost never be classified as a good investment. (some of the beautiful vehicles on Barrett Jackson being the rare exception). I bought my R18 Pure in November of 2020 and it has lost almost 50% of it's value already. Bought my Bagger in September of 2021 and that is down roughly 40%. Anyone can see that these were horrible investments, but no one, including me, expected the prices to fall so much, so soon. Love the bikes however and the joy of riding them is not measured in dollars. Because I'm a sucker for the beauty and technology of these bikes, I am seriously considering the R18 anniversary model. My question is really asking, am I a complete sucker and is the price going to tank again, will it possibly hold up better as it's an anniversary model or should I exude some semblance of patience and see what the value looks like a year or so down the road. That's all. PLUS, it's the dead of winter in Michigan, so I can't be out riding or golfing, so trying to stir up some Forum activity for all of us poor souls in northern climates!
sorry. didnt mean to offend. I've had a slew of beemers and prob sold all for less than i paid. same with 4 bmw autos. i LOVE my r1800tc but bot in sf last month! And i think i got a good deal, but not why i bot it. i still have my r1200cl which is a veritable twin to the new beast, without the power. also have a 2019 r1250gsa now with 30000 on the clock. cant bear to sell but sure would take a hit over cost. I just count my blessings that I can afford them and love to ride (and still physically up to it) .

sorry. didnt mean to offend. I've had a slew of beemers and prob sold all for less than i paid. same with 4 bmw autos. i LOVE my r1800tc but bot in sf last month! And i think i got a good deal, but not why i bot it. i still have my r1200cl which is a veritable twin to the new beast, without the power. also have a 2019 r1250gsa now with 30000 on the clock. cant bear to sell but sure would take a hit over cost. I just count my blessings that I can afford them and love to ride (and still physically up to it) .
Absolutely no offense taken! It’s all good my fellow BMW lover!! 👍🏼👍🏼

Currently watching Barrett Jackson from Scottsdale, AZ. Now THOSE are beautiful and expensive toys! Makes the value of our bikes seem inconsequential.

If you really like the Anniversary model and have the means (without overstretching yourself) I say buy it, love it and have no regrets. I expect most of us on this forum are getting on a bit and you just never know …….know what I mean. The Euro 6 & 7 regs are going to kill this bike off anyway pretty soon (UK & EU) so if you pontificate too long you may just miss out. Personally I still don’t think BMW got the launch & volumes right on this bike (i.e. made far too many) and I have lost a bit of money on mine but when I go and just look at it in the garage (we are in winter too) you know what, I don’t care.

Last edited:
In general it seems to me that special editions of anything aren't what ends up desirable over time. It usually ends up where bone stock versions of something with just a few years of production is what ends up desirable. Think 50's Les Pauls. With respect to BMWs, it'd be something like a stock R90S in daytona orange. I can't think of an example of a special edition or collectors edition or re-release or whatever that ended up being something that was desirable years later. Maybe an R80GSPD might be considered a "special edition", which would be a counter example?

I really like it but it will tank. Hold out imo and the offers will come. I agree with the above that they made too many FE’s and with the exception of the welcome box, you can still order a new R18 with the chrome and tank stripes so no exclusivity there.

Value only matters to you who buys it. If you like the R18 100th anniversary and you think the price makes sense for you, buy it. I assume any bike I buy has zero resale value, so I have to cover the full purchase price in my personal valuation. By never assuming it will have any value, I don’t create unrealistic situations.

Many compare the R18 to the original R1200C. A 1998 R1200C was about $14K new + whatever options. They are about $3500 now for a nearly 25 year old bike. Is losing $10K over 25 years bad? I’d expect any R1200C owner got at least $400 of enjoyment each year. Typical depreciation is 20%/year, so I simply assume any bike I buy has no resale value in 5 years. If I kept the bike more than 5 years, my effective cost per year keeps dropping. Anything I could sell it for is a bonus.

Value only matters to you who buys it. If you like the R18 100th anniversary and you think the price makes sense for you, buy it. I assume any bike I buy has zero resale value, so I have to cover the full purchase price in my personal valuation. By never assuming it will have any value, I don’t create unrealistic situations.

Many compare the R18 to the original R1200C. A 1998 R1200C was about $14K new + whatever options. They are about $3500 now for a nearly 25 year old bike. Is losing $10K over 25 years bad? I’d expect any R1200C owner got at least $400 of enjoyment each year. Typical depreciation is 20%/year, so I simply assume any bike I buy has no resale value in 5 years. If I kept the bike more than 5 years, my effective cost per year keeps dropping. Anything I could sell it for is a bonus.
That's how I see it too. I plan on it being essentially worthless after I drive off the lot and don't consider resale at all when I'm buying a motorcycle or a car. My friend buys everything based off a spreadsheet, I buy what I want. Who's right? I think we both are. Everyone's brain sees things differently.

I think the 100 years models look awesome.

I know of a dealer who has a room full of crated BMWs. The owner buys them and tucks them away. Outside of a few exceptions, if your bike never left the crate, you might get what you paid in 30 years, some will appreciate higher. A driven and used model is going to have to be quite special to appreciate.

Infinite timeline and such, what do I know? BMW Airheads did not sell for $10 grand new but now look at them and original R80GS bikes for around $20K in good condition. That's a solid appreciation. I still think you'd make more money in the stock market than speculating on BMW values.

-----

should you pay MSRP for a 100th anniversary R18? Heck no. Wait 15 months, check cycle trader, save 8 grand.

Second thread on "value" in a short period of time within a group that for the most part are big fans of the R18 in general (at least I know I am) really is a shame as to the circumstances this platform finds itself in. Whether one does or doesn't care about the loss in value personally really means nothing compared to what impact it has on future sales over the next couple of model years. BMW has these priced at a point where they are closer to a 310 sitting on the same showroom floor than anything else in the line and well below used models that are a 3-4 years old from their direct "competitors" and other BMW models too. I'm not sure how long it will take if ever to recover for BMW to be able to sell enough units at a high enough price to ensure at least a potential profitable ROI to keep building these. As mentioned by others, they have a huge regulatory gorilla in the room that is only going to become more costly to deal with and there is no way I would buy anywhere near "list" regardless "pro rating" costs, etc. I know how many were sold in my region prior to the initial "big rebate and financing deals" (basically none) and that those sweet deals were bettered only to see bikes still sitting as NOS is a troubling fact. I'm glad I have mine and I hope they are successful in keeping the R18 alive and well moving forward as it is such a beautifully made and fun to ride motorcycle.

Unless BMW goes out of business and stops providing parts, why is it a problem if they stop producing the R18? They only made the R90S for three years, and if anything that just added to the mystique. Not that that's important, but I doubt that there will be a parts shortage in any case.

I do wonder sometimes if BMW senior managers are aware of something that we (the general public) aren’t and they have slashed and burned these R18’s to just get rid of them almost no matter what. A bit like a closing down sale where everything must go? Perhaps the tighter emission regs are coming in faster than we thought? Last time the Euro 4 came in the manufacturers had two years to shift their Euro 3 bikes, maybe there’s no grace period? I do find it puzzling because they must have spent years and tens of millions if not more on developing this bike. Honda built that Rune, it cost a fortune to build and every one was a massive loss so sometimes these things don’t make sense. Maybe BMW wanted a last ‘hurrah’ with a big air cooled Boxer 🤷‍♂️. I expect it will be taken off sale this year, just like the R9T Racer got the chop.

Back